Looking ahead to the second semester

Broom hockey and Serve Day highlight initial off campus activities

[/media-credit] Juniors Megan Raynes and Reese Brown enjoy ice skating at last year’s Sadie Hawkins, Jan. 28. Students will once again go ice skating to kick off the second semester.

Now that Christmas vacation has come to an end, students are already anticipating second semester events. As they settle back into their normal schedules, leadership advisers Aubri Foster and Robert Foshee have been working together, planning events that students can enjoy.

Leadership is planning an ice skating event at the Gateway Ice Center , Saturday Jan. 27 from 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. A free skate will be from 10 a.m. – noon in which students can skate around with friends. Then a game of broom hockey will be from 12-1:30 p.m. Each class will compete to win.

As a member of the color guard, Brittany McCann, ‘20, likes the idea of getting out to serve others outside of campus. 

“I really want to go,” McCann said. “I have gone ice skating before and it is a lot of fun and I really would like to go again. I feel our school should have more events like this cause I believe it makes us closer as a school. I like the fact that it’s on a Saturday to just so if you have nothing to do over the weekend you can go and have some fun and talk with other people on campus you might have not had the chance to.”

The whole high school will then board busses, splitting up to work at multiple locations for Serve Day, March 1. While a Serve Day is not unusual idea, both campus junior high and high school students take a whole day to serve at six to 10 locations. Students get a unique experience were they go out and help the community.

Last year, students and teachers served at various locations such as: Kepler Charter School, Community Food Bank, Lanna Coffee, Fresno CityFest, Community Center,  Wellness center clean up, Graffiti clean up, Discovery Center, Raintree Convalescent home and Tree Fresno. Students leave early in the morning and spend their school hours giving back to the community.

Worship team, graphic design and basketball are a few examples of junior Landon Goldsborough’s varied interests. He’s excited to serve in the community for the second time.

“It was a humbling experience,” Goldsborough said. “I think it’s great that we get to take a day our our school year and give back to the community. I haven’t heard of any other school doing this and it makes Fresno Christian special. Last year I had a blast going and helping out with fellow friends and staff and can’t wait to do it all again.”

[/media-credit] Graffiti clean up is one of the most popular events on Serve Day, March 1.

Formal, a major event of the second semester, will be taking place on April 6th this year. It will be held at Wolf Lakes Garden. There is a lot to do this year at formal, including a boat ride that will take groups of people around the lake. No theme has yet to be declared, but leadership is working hard to find one. Price is to be determined but dress code will still apply at formal.

Anthony Diaz, ’19, describes his experience at formal and how it could have been better.

“I went to formal my freshmen year,” Diaz said. “ It was a decent experience but there was a lot that could have been better. The place was beautiful and really relaxing and the games were fun as well, but after a while it got kinda boring. The boat rides ended kinda fast and well the food wasn’t that good either. I want to go this year and am hoping it will be different and a experience I’ll never forget.”

There are many other events that will be taking place on campus and off. Be sure to follow The Feather on Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with school events.

This author can be reached via email.