EDITORIAL: How helpful is the flu vaccine?

The CDC as well as employees at Valley Children’s Healthcare encourage everyone to get their flu shot.

Flu season reached peak in the United States

[/media-credit] Most doctors recommend getting the flu shot, however this year’s vaccine is not as effective to helping prevent the flu as in previous years.

As temperatures drop, sickness affects over half the population. On campuses around the nation, cold weather and close quarters mix, putting schools as the number one target for illness. Families flock to pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS to get their annual flu shot.

However, debate arises as to whether the flu shot is actually beneficial or not.  This year, the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine is only 48%. Students should be aware of the risks of getting the flu shot and talk to their doctor before making the decision to get vaccinated. 

This year, the flu has officially become an epidemic in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the nation is currently at peak flu season.

Two common reasons people are skeptical of the flu shot are that people believe they will get the flu from the vaccine, or that it will not work. Recent studies conducted by the CDC shows that vaccination actually reduces the risk of getting the flu between 40% – 60%.

However, it’s important to note that the vaccination’s effectiveness is based on age. The 2017 flu season proved to be especially dangerous for adults 65 or older. Last season introduced a new kind of flu — Type A H3N2 — which proved to be more deadly than previous flu viruses.

Each year doctors and scientists guess which strand of the flu they believe will be the most contagious in the United States. Despite their best efforts, doctors sometimes guess the incorrect strand of the flu, mostly due to the fact that they have to start developing the vaccine months before the flu season even begins.

As a result of this inaccuracy, increased illness and even deaths can occur. In the 2014-2015 flu season, 148 people died in California. To prevent this, talk to your doctor to see if the flu shot is right for you. Make sure to reveal any medical issues or problems with the shot in the past.

[/media-credit] The flu shot is available at most drug stores such as Walgreens and Rite Aid.

Many people refrain from getting a flu shot in fear of the side effects it may produce. Occasionally the shot can cause mild aches, fatigue, headache, or fever. The most common result is soreness around the area of the injection. According to Kaiser Permanente, these effects will only last 2-3 days, whereas the flu can last weeks.

Although it is widely believed that the flu shot helps protect against illness, people have the right to know the risks that come along with the vaccine. This year, do research to determine whether or not the flu shot it right for you.

Before getting the flu shot, discuss the matter with your doctor and do research to see what strand it is protecting against.

What is your opinion about the flu shot? Do you receive the vaccine each year? Let us know in the comments below.

For more editorials, read: EDITORIAL: Teens should refrain from getting tattoos or EDITORIAL: Benefits of allotting allowances to children.