Second semester brings new opportunities for growth

Students share organization tips

[/media-credit] Sophomore Logan Lewis discusses the idea of propaganda in United States history with another student.

At the start of the second-semester, students come back to school fresh off of Christmas break. Time schedules are completely changed, students go to bed later and wake up later, so going back to school is a rude awakening for some.

During the break, students gain the luxury to eat whenever and hang out with friends more often. This now comes to a close and students get back into the swing of things, obtaining their normal schedules back. A change like this sometimes can be detrimental to some students. 

Kicking off the semester students use various strategies to get a jump start early. Getting good grades early on is important for many students because it sets them up for later in the semester and it overall gives them the confidence to keep striving for excellence. Some students still feel that they are on break and become lazy, getting a horrible start, which adds stress and makes students overwhelmed.

Known for being organized and keeping up with her schedule, senior McKensy Neal explains how she is able to keep up with stuff on time and be organized while doing it.

“A successful start to the semester is keeping up your grades and studies from the start,” Neal said. “I have my times planned out to do my homework and study for tests. I have failed to stay organized before and gotten behind in classes because I didn’t plan things out ahead of time. Staying organized is a key part of life because its what helps you stay productive and gives you confidence going into the day.”

Attending FCS since kindergarten, junior Brandon Brogan has developed a plan that gets him off to a good early start at the beginning of every semester. He encourages students to try and focus because it is really important to begin the semester properly.

“I think that it is really important to start the semester correctly,” Brogan said. “For me, I make sure to write down everything in my notes on my phone and have it remind me so that when I get home I can do it. I’d encourage everyone to do your work even though you may be lazy and not wanna do it because, in the long run, it is really worth it.”

[/media-credit] Braden Bell, ’20, and Blake Deffenbacher, ’20, study probability in math class by flipping a coin and recording the outcomes.

Motivated to do well in high school, sophomore Ethan Hamm talks about how paying attention in class makes all the difference when starting the semester correctly.

“A successful start to a semester is not slacking off in the beginning because starting that way sets you down a bad path,” Hamm said. “I have really paid attention in classes I would ignore last semester or slacked off in. I fail all the time it’s stupid, so that’s why it makes all the difference to pay attention in class.”

Starting off the semester with excellence is a crucial part of staying on task in school. Some smart ideas are to ask other students for help or asking a teacher for ideas on how you can do better with staying on task. Schooling sets up the future for students, so it is smart to set up a plan for the proper organization methods.

The Feather staff encourages students to ask for help if they need it. We are a community that wants you to succeed this semester.

For another article, read BREAKING: Parent informational counseling meeting, Jan. 30 or The effects of mass marketing on high school students.

Nathan Mount can be reached via email: Nate MountInstagram, and Twitter.