Video productions team continues to grow under Matthew Vincent

Aspiring filmmakers gain hands-on experience in digital class

As visual design and media become increasingly prominent in our digital age, gaining an understanding of video productions is more than an enjoyable hobby; it can make or break college or career hopes. Though not required classes, FC students enjoy the opportunity to take Intro to Video Productions, commonly known as video productions.

[/media-credit] After graduating from Fresno State with a degree in Mass Communication and Journalism, Vincent worked for several companies in the area.

Whether through a class like math or an elective such as home economics, high school teachers impact how students view their subject into adulthood. Until 2014, FC had not hired a teacher specializing in video productions. Matthew Vincent, who graduated from Fresno State with a degree in Mass Communication and Journalism, filled the teaching role in 2016.

The intro to video productions class exists mainly to give students a solid base knowledge of shooting films. Many aspiring filmmakers join the class with little to no experience, so Vincent says it is important for him to teach by example.

“I try to be involved when people need the help with things, but even if they’re not asking for help I try to get myself involved anyways,” Vincent said. “I really want people to be doing things in a manner that makes sense. I like to be able to help out people. I’m not necessarily in anything for any sort of recognition.”

Learning new techniques occurs all-year in video productions, especially for students joining halfway through the year. The newest addition to the team, Stephen Walters, ’18, joined with surface knowledge of photography but little film experience. He says the hands-on aspect of video journalism has helped him widen his variety of ability.

“The class has really inspired me to pursue more knowledge about different videoing methods and different shooting methods,” Walters said. “It’s really given me the opportunity to explore new creative ideas and try new things in a safe environment where I can tap information sources, like our teacher, Mr. Vincent, for more knowledge and we can discuss different questions that we as a class come up with, and different ideas we have.”

From filming a biography to shooting a soccer game, video journalists call on a wide variety of skills. Videographer Kyle Friesen, ’19, appreciates having a mentor with a wide background he can call on. He says his own videoing skills have improved from Vincent’s personal advice.

“My favorite part of the class is being able to make videos with friends and learning from someone who has experience making films and at news stations,” Friesen said. “I joined video productions because it was a great way to learn video stuff. Vincent has given me super important and helpful knowledge and techniques based off his own professional experience.”

Vincent’s digital arts career started when he joined a photography class in his sophomore year of high school. One skill he learned was photo editing, an art he used in his college education. After graduating, Vincent worked for various photography companies, including Larson Brothers and other studio production companies. He says his job at Larson Brothers, where he traveled to various Central Valley schools, greatly influenced how he captures action.

“I’ve done a lot more sports photography than any other type of photography, so I’m very comfortable with the way that it goes,” Vincent said. “I’ve become so accustomed to it, and that was from working with Larson where we were sent out to two, three or four sports events every day. That’s really when you get honed in on your skills, when you have to do things quick.”

[/media-credit] Matthew Vincent photographed Fresno Unified’s World Language Fair. CSLA featured several of Vincent’s photos.

Especially when shooting a time-sensitive project, video productions members learn to edit quickly. One of the first pieces of advice Vincent gives to an aspiring cameraman is to not take unneeded shots. He says photographers who scan the action and understand what they are recording take better and fewer shots.

“When I know there’s new photographers getting into things, one of my favorite things to tell them is to not overshoot a situation,” Vincent said. “The amount of pictures you take directly correlates to the amount of pictures you have to edit later. So essentially just don’t overshoot things, don’t overthink things, just watch and take the pictures; let the pictures happen. When you see something that looks good, that’s when you take the picture. Not whenever you see action happening, you don’t just hold the button down.”

Vincent still finds time to capture pictures around Fresno. His work was recently recognized by the California School Library Association (SCLA), who featured his photos of Central Unified School District’s World Language Day. The pictures made the front page of SCLA’s Winter Journal, which can be viewed on their website.

For more teacher profiles, please read Getting to know our substitute teachers and Campus teacher embarks on journey to see solar eclipse.

Bryce Foshee can be reached via email.