Join the Discussion: Night of the Stars 2018

Students give opinions on annual formal

[/media-credit] Students attended Night of the Stars at Wolf Lakes, April 6.

After weeks of planning, the annual Fresno Christian formal, Night of the Stars (NOTS), took place on Friday, April. 6. A record 166 students attended the event, which was hosted by Wolf Lakes. The theme for this year’s NOTS was ‘Rewrite the Stars’.

The dinner of steak, salad, potatoes, green beans and a roll was catered by Wolf Lakes. Leadership planned several games and activities for the night, including a game of ‘human bingo’ and organized dancing to songs such as Y.M.C.A. After dinner, students watched the class movies, an annual tradition reaching back to the first annual NOTS in 1991.

This year’s NOTS movies were Nacho Libre (produced by the freshmen class), Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (sophomores), McFarland, U.S.A. (Juniors) and The Parent Trap (seniors).

After watching the films, the awards ceremony began. The awards won are as followed:

Best picture:

Ferris Bueller 

Best casting:

The Parent Trap 

Most awkward moment:

Nacho Libre (eating toast) 

Best comical scene:

Ferris Bueller (Mr. Rooney and Grace) 

Best teacher cameo:

Hope Villines in The Parent Trap 

Best on-screen moment:

The Parent Trap

Best supporting actor:

Suky Cheema (McFarland)

Best supporting actress:

Alyssa Melillo (The Parent Trap)

Best actor:

Albert Ramirez (Nacho Libre)

Best actress:

Shauna Howard (Ferris Bueller)

Best film editing:

Braden Bell (Ferris Bueller)

Most accurate remake:

Ferris Bueller

Parents choice:

Ferris Bueller

Students discussed their opinions about the annual spring formal. What were your thoughts about formal? Join the discussion by leaving a comment below.

[/media-credit] Students pose with their awards during Night of the Stars.

Wouldn’t change anything
Avery Jones, Sophomore 
April 10, 2018

“I really liked NOTS. I thought it was really fun. I really liked how they showed all of the movies. I don’t think I would change anything.”

Sophomores had the best film
Annabell Messer, Sophomore
April 10, 2018

“The food was super good and it was super fun taking pictures with all my friends. I think we should have more dancing because that was really fun. I thought the movies were pretty good, but the sophomores were obviously the best one. I think the awards were distributed evenly because the sophomores couldn’t win them all.”

Looking forward to next year
Richie Cortez, Sophomore
April 10, 2018

“It was a fun time making memories with my friends. I’m looking forward to next year’s for sure. We need some more dancing. It was funny but really weird at the same time that we were doing the hokey-pokey in high school. I think the awards were given fairly.”

Beautiful venue
Claire Palsgaard, Sophomore
April 10, 2018

“I really enjoyed the dancing and the venue. I though it was beautiful. I thought there was a lot of downtime where we didn’t do anything. Next year we should do more dancing or other activities. It seemed like every class needed to win an award, but the sophomores should have won all of them.”

[/media-credit] Wolf Lakes provided a full catered meal to students who attended NOTS.

Proud of the leadership team
Roman Endicott, Senior
April 8, 2018

“This was by far my favorite NOTS. Everything went super well and it was a blast. I absolutely loved the movies because they are always hilarious and it is so funny to be able to see my friends on the screen and everyone’s hard work paying off. I think that everyone did an amazing job setting up because everything went very smoothly with hardly any hiccups and I am so proud of the leadership team. Mrs. Foster and Mr. Foshee also did a fantastic job giving us all the tools we needed to accomplish a great night.”

Wants more dancing
Suky Cheema, Junior
April 8, 2018

“One of my favorite parts of formal were all of the movies that we were able to see from each class. Every movie had its own bit of unique taste and style. I enjoyed the boat ride and also spending time with all of my friends. I wish we could have dancing. Like not inappropriate dancing, but ballroom dancing and also maybe some dancing that you can get energetic and hyped with the music. Next year I’m looking forward to the same thing and maybe the addition of dancing and more variety of activities to do.”

Hanging out with friends
Brynlee Schmidt, Freshman
April 8, 2018

“My favorite part of formal was hanging out with my friends and watching all the movies. I would change nothing because it was all good. I liked Wolf Lakes, it was super nice and the surrounding scenery was beautiful. Because this year was super fun, I’m looking forward to seeing how next year goes.”

[/media-credit] Sophomores Blake Deffenbacher (left), Braden Bell (center) and Wesley Hinton pose for a photo with an award they won for their NOTS film, a remake of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

A beautiful night
Kayla Vanderlinden, Sophomore
April 8, 2018

“It was beautiful scenery and overall very pretty. I would have liked for there to be more dancing. I loved the movies, my favorite was Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. My favorite part was dressing up and hanging with my friends.”

Enjoyed every minute
Blake Burdan, Sophomore
April 8, 2018

“I thought the night was put together very well and organized well. I loved everything that was planned and how the night went. I don’t think that there is anything specific that I would’ve changed. Leadership did an amazing job setting up the event for every student to enjoy it. I enjoyed all of the movies, especially the sophomores and seniors. They were made extremely well and the acting was awesome. The sophomores definitely deserved all the awards they won. I don’t think I have one favorite part of the event. I enjoyed every minute of it and everything we did was great.”

Different than other formals
Alyssa Melillo, Senior
April 7, 2018

“I thought it was a really fun night. It was really cool to see everyone from school all dressed up and come together for a special night. It was definitely very different than other formals but I think it was more fun because of the different activities to do. The NOTS movies were super funny and it was enjoyable to finally watch them all. I really like the idea of making movies and everyone did a really good job playing their roles.”

An amazing experience
Trisha Cui, Senior
April 7, 2018

“It was absolutely one of the most fun nights I’ve ever had. Everyone showed up looking nice and it will be a memory I never forget. I loved the movies too! They are fun and people in each class had put so much effort in to produce these movies for us. I wish there could be a dance. As a foreign student, I was expecting to experience the fancy high school proms I’ve watched in movies. But I think our NOTS is fun too, especially the human bingo, it was so creative.”

[/media-credit] Freshmen Brynlee Schmidt (left) and Landon Bell pose for a photo at the annual Night of the Stars.

Improve the NOTS voting system
Reece Trevino, Junior
April 7, 2018

“My favorite part of the night was watching all the films that each class had made. My favorite movie was the junior class’ movie McFarland because of how funny it was. What could have been better was the voting for each film. I feel like most of the awards were not spread out evenly and I feel like most of the movies were not credited enough for their hard work. This event, compared to last year’s, was more fun and I loved the location of this years compared to last year’s.”

Partcipating in events
Josh Oakley, Senior
April 7, 2018

“My favorite part of NOTS was hanging out with my friends and watching the NOTS movies. My favorite was the senior movie, The Parent Trap, because I got to participate in the making of the movie and have a lot of laughs with my friends. The only thing that could be improved on to me was better filler activities. My impressions of NOTS, is you can really tell how much work went into the event. It was surprising to me was how easy everything felt, just how there was no pressure.”

Enjoyed the movies
Brennen Tozlian, Freshman
April 7, 2018

“My favorite part about formal was seeing everyone all dressed up and just hanging out with everyone. I really liked the boat rides that we had this year, and we actually got to dance. One thing that I didn’t like was the fact that my table was in the corner so we couldn’t see the screen for the movie so we had to stand in the back. Next year I hope one of the classes does High School Musical or Camp Rock.” 

[rev_slider alias=”nots2018″]

For more articles, read BreakAway X provides students opportunity to serve, worship and COLUMN: Jake Provost shares college choice tips.

Mariana Fikse can be reached via email.