Seventh grade journeys to SoCal for annual trip

Students visit historical venues in Los Angeles

[/media-credit] Seventh graders enjoy hanging out together on the seventh grade trip, May 3.

UPDATE: May 7

Terry Richards talks about how the trip went and how this year was very successful.

“The 18th 7th grade trip to Los Angeles went very well,” Richards said. “I was impressed with the great attitudes of students and parent chaperones. We prayed ahead of time that God would iron out any wrinkles that Satan wanted to put in our way. I was interesting to see God work. As situations came up, chaperones were able to deal with them.

“I feel this was one of the best trips I have taken,” Richards continued. “Students were interested and well behaved. I was so proud of them! They stayed with the worksheets and followed directions in a mature manner. Several people mentioned to me how impressed they were with the students’ behavior. I am looking forward to our 8th-grade outdoor ed camp at Calvin Crest next September. It will be a wonderful time for all of us.”

Parent and school secretary Michelle Logan also attended the trip. She enjoyed learning more about science while also spending time with students.

“We had an amazing trip to LA this year,” Logan said. “As a parent, this is my second year chaperoning this trip. We visited the Museum of Natural History, Medieval Times, California Science Center, Griffith Observatory, and Forrest Lawn Memorial Park. We even went roller skating, had time to swim at the hotel and had some free time at 2 different parts. All of this is in just 48 hours.” 

Original article, May 3

The 18th annual 7th grade Los Angeles trip has come around once again. Starting May 3, the seventh-grade class will travel south to Los Angeles to explore museums and spend time together as a class before the school year ends. Led by junior high teacher Terry Richards, the group returns, May 5. 

Students will stay at Embassy Suites while in Los Angeles. The seventh graders will visit many educational sites on the trip, such as the National History Museum, California Science Center and the Griffith Observatory.

Seventh-grader Shirley Rylander shares the events she is looking forward to on the trip.

“This is our first and only trip for the year,” Rylander said. “I am really looking forward to our skating trip because I really love skating. I have been talking to my parents about it and I’m very excited. I really just want to hang out with my friends and to get to know them better and see the sites down there.”

This is the 18th annual Los Angeles trip, beginning in the year 2000. Terry Richards has consistently been a large part of this trip, planning, organizing and making sure everything is on track.

“I want the students to experience the science things available in California,” Richards said. “Students in Fresno usually don’t get to see these things. I’ve tried to connect the classes of history, art, P.E., English, and science to the venues. This trip has gone so well (in the past) because it is organized, and we have had wonderful parents chaperones who pitch in and help whenever we need.

[/media-credit] Students visit the National History Museum, May 3.

A member of last years Los Angeles trip, Derek DeGroot, ’22, talks about his experience.

“My experience was actually pretty good,” Degroot said. “I came thinking I would not learn a lot but I actually learned a ton. I would tell the 7th graders to make sure you do all your papers you do in the museums. It’s a very fun, fast-paced trip.”

FC staff member and parent Michelle Logan journeyed on the trip last year and shares her thoughts about it.

“I accompanied my 8th-grade daughter on this same trip last year,” Logan said. “This year’s trip will be virtually identical to last years because Mr. Richards has been doing this trip for 18 years and he organizes and runs it like a fine oiled machine as he has everything down to the minute planned out. It is different people, different students, different parents and that part of it will be a little different but I think it’s going to be fabulous. I am actually really excited for this trip, I was excited last year to go but didn’t know what to expect so I’m even more excited this year because how much you get to see and learn.”

Many 7th graders look forward to this year’s LA trip as they will be attending places like the California Science Center and Medieval Times

For more articles, read Broadway Aladdin combines theatrical talent with modern comedy and PROFILE: Matthew Sue looks to gain lifelong golf skills.

Harjot Singh can be reached via email.