Join the Discussion: Teacher Appreciation Week 2018

Students reflect on the impact, influence of teachers

[/media-credit] Music director Susan Ainley, center, not only leads the choral program on campus, but she takes the time to bring her choir and ensemble to festivals as well as bigger trips like the New York City one in April.

As the school year comes to a close and students prepare for finals, summer can’t seem farther away. However, students are thanking teachers for their dedication during Teacher Appreciation Week, May 7-11.

Under the leadership of 42 campus teachers, coaches and advisors, students advance in knowledge and their education. With the constant love and support of their superiors, students have the ability to progress in their schooling and love for Christ.

Some teachers have dedicated their time to the school for over 30 years, while some have just begun their teaching journey. Nonetheless, each teacher positively affects the lives of the students each day through guidance and building relationships.

Students have been honoring teachers throughout the week by writing notes and thanking their teachers. Let us know your favorite teachers and why you appreciate them in the comments below. A Tree of Appreciation poster was created by CSF adviser and English teacher Andrea Donaghe in collaboration with English teacher Kyle Dodson, who had their students write apples with handwritten notes during class.

Consider sharing a note in the comments below or email a Feather editor to add your appreciation to a teacher(s). The staff would love to add your thank you.

Teacher sacrifice time to help students
Sydney Saville, Sophomore
May 11, 2018

“What I really appreciate about the teachers here specifically is they care about each of their students as individuals. The teachers genuinely want us to succeed and are not just here to get paid. They sacrifice their personal time to answer any questions we might have and give us out of classroom help. I appreciate that if I’m going through a hard time I can talk with them or ask for advice.”

[/media-credit] Kyle Dodson teaches freshman and junior English as well as high school drama.

Dodson keeps a good balance
Aimee Castaneda, Freshman
May 11, 2018

“Mr. (Kyle) Dodson is my favorite teacher because he teaches me a lot and he is really funny too. He keeps a good balance in the classroom so we are not super bored but we are not off-task either. He is really encouraging and he gives good assignments and he always helps me when I need help.”

Donaghe encourages students
Bekah Micu, Sophomore
May 10, 2018

“My favorite teacher is Mrs. (Andrea) Donaghe because she is constantly encouraging me and pushing me to be a better student. She is really easy to respect and she is just a lovable person.”

Fuller shows honesty
Jonah Lozano, Junior
May 10, 2018

“(Mick) Fuller is one of the very honest teachers at Fresno Christian. If you stink at something he’s going to tell you and I appreciate that. He’s very behind the scenes. He studies his students and knows how to push his students and doesn’t require any acknowledgment for all that he’s does for the school.”

Friesen teaches students to stay strong
Richard Cortez
May 10, 2018

“I want to thank Mrs. (Kori) Friesen for everything she’s done this year, it’s been absolutely amazing. Her class is probably my favorite because the lectures and conversations in class are always so interesting. And she’s taught me even through the tough times to stay strong especially with our faith in God.”

Students enjoy Dodson’s sense of humor
Albert Ramirez, Freshman
May 10, 2018

“My favorite teacher is Mr. (Kyle) Dodson, I have known him for many years. and I like the way he teaches in class and I like his sense of humor and he is a very nice guy.”

Walters supports and encourages student’s ideas
Joey Huang, Senior
May 9, 2018

“I love all my teachers equally. But Dr. (Karen) Walters holds a special place in my heart because we have a lot of great memories together. She has been really supportive and encouraging of my ideas and we have done a lot of investigation and research together and we have a personal friendship.  I am really grateful for the fact she’s always so encouraging and supportive of my ideas, using her knowledge to help me grow. It’s really hard for me to say this because I love all my teachers very much.”

[/media-credit] Donn Rojeski teaches freshman and sophomore Old Testament classes.

Rojeski wants whats best for his students
Sam Portale, Freshman
May 9, 2018

“My favorite teacher is Mr. (Donn) Rojeski because he is super loving and he cares about you and wants what’s best for you. One time in his class he let us do some sign language instead of our verse even though he didn’t really want us to.”

Dodson communicates effectively
Ethan Hamm, Sophomore
May 9, 2018

“My favorite teacher is Mr. (Kyle) Dodson because I have a lot in common with him and his quirkiness is a lot more engaging than other teachers. The way he does things in engaging and he knows how to communicate in a way that isn’t boring especially since he teaches English which can sometimes be boring.”

Breshears shows positivity
Jordan Hernandez, Freshman
May 9, 2018

“My favorite teacher in Mrs. (Kristina) Breshears, because she is really positive and anytime you have trouble with something she helps you and she will never let you fail, she always finds a way. She is very chill.”

The following is a teacher appreciation video created from another school system, thanking their teachers. Does it ring true to your experience at Fresno Christian?

Teacher Appreciation Week 2018 from IDEA Public Schools on Vimeo.

Rojeski helps students on bad days
Kayden Marquez, Sophomore
May 9, 2018

“My favorite teacher is Mr. (Donn) Rojeski because he teaches us about the gospel but he is also super funny once you get to know him. He gives us grace a lot too. When we are having a bad day and there is a Bible verse he will help us out. And he helps us when we are stressed out.”

[/media-credit] Chemistry teacher, Scott Bucher, recreates the Hindenburg crash on a much smaller scale.

Bell acts as a mother figure to students
Lexi Baker, Freshman
May 8, 2018

“Mrs. (Kimberly) Bell is my favorite teacher because she teaches really important things and she is like a mom. She is super sweet and caring and she actually cares about her students and wants them to do their best. She is really motherly and she is very nice and smart.”

Friesen makes students feel welcomed
Alina Davila, Junior
May 8, 2018

“My favorite teacher that I’ve had is Mrs. (Kori) Friesen. When I was a new student, she made me feel welcomed and comfortable. I love how passionate she is about her teaching. She is very understanding and loving towards all of her students. But the thing I like best of all is the joy she has. If I’m having a bad day, I know I can just look at Mrs. (Kori) Friesen and her smile rubs off on me!”

Walters helps build relationships with Christ
Alyssa Reese, Freshman
May 8, 2018

“The teacher that has had the most significant impact on my life this year, is Dr. (Karen) Walters. We have many common interests, and I love her teaching style! Science is also my favorite subject, so being blessed with a teacher that is able to take time to work with me, and speak to me about higher level science, is so much fun! She will do anything to help her students learn, and even help them build their relationships with Christ! So, thank you Doctor, for being there whenever your students need something, whether it be academically, or spiritually! You are very much appreciated!”

[/media-credit] Rachel Rodriguez teaches Spanish to high school students.

Foster speaks truth into student’s lives
Joshua Savage, Junior
May 7, 2018

“I am thankful for my Christian Living teacher, Mrs. (Aubri) Foster. Mrs. Foster is kind, sincere, faithful, compassionate, understanding, and wise. Whether you need clarification on scripture, or a friend to confide in, she is always prepared to speak truth into your life and share the love of God. Mrs. Foster is genuine and encouraging and desires that we each flourish in our walk with God. She is a light on our campus. We are truly blessed to have her as our teacher.”

Foster makes her class fun
Sophia Kalugian, Junior
May 7, 2018

“My favorite teacher is Mrs. (Aubri) Foster. I appreciate her because she really cares and is always making sure we have fun in her class. The teachers at FCS are super nice and nurture the students’ relationships with God.”

Check out National PTA, California PTA, NEA and PBS for more news on Teacher Appreciation Week and let us know which other teachers you appreciate in the comments below!

For more articles on FCS teachers, read LETTER: Andrea Donaghe shares passion, reason for teaching. For more articles, read

RECAP: Music department displays talent at annual spring concert.

Kamryn Schultz can be reached by email and twitter.