EDITORIAL: Advantages of cell phone use in classrooms

Handheld devices enhance communication, education

Parents and administrators argue that cell phones and non-approved devices distract students. Students use smartphones to play games and browse social media causing grades to slip and parent teacher conferences to become a necessity.

[/media-credit] The ability to communicate teacher to student, and student to student for certain projects, is greatly enhanced by cell phones.

Currently, the current FC handbook policy states that cell phones are not approved devices per BYOD and are not to be used during class time for any reason.

However, many campus teachers use Remind to connect with their students throughout the day using the Remind app. Students access the communication service through the app or via text message notifications. For example, Remind is used on campus by the choir department, leadership class and Spanish students to stay informed on changes or alterations to class functions.

The ability to communicate teacher to student, and student to student for certain projects, is greatly enhanced by cell phones.

Additionally, teachers and students both use academic apps Schoology and PowerSchool to provide students with class materials and updates on grades. Phones allow for push notifications of changes in grades, which benefits students looking for quick clarifications on grades.  

In classes such as science and math, cell phones show their usefulness through various applications like the calculator, stopwatch and camera.

Finally, students who learn electronic self-control in high school demonstrate competence and discipline. In future careers employers expect their workers to remain on task and not be distracted by phones.

High school should be seen as an opportunity for students to learn self control regarding their cellular devices. If abused of proper use, teachers and staff should take disciplinary measures against infractions. However, with proper use, the benefits of using cell phones outweigh the negatives.

For more editorials, read EDITORIAL: Standardized testing hinders college applicants and EDITORIAL: The importance of online safety