Campus science teacher encourages hands-on learning 

Chemistry teacher, Scott Bucher, recreates the Hindenburg crash on a much smaller scale.

Scott Bucher explains the importance of in-class experiments

[/media-credit] Campus science teacher Scott Bucher believes hands-on learning is an important piece of learning in classrooms.

Upon walking into Scott Bucher’s science lab, cupboards and drawers filled from top to bottom with beakers and chemicals surround the room. Bucher always begins his first period class with a simple Bible reading and prayer before he reviews previous lessons.

After obtaining his masters degree from Fresno Pacific University, Bucher currently teaches chemistry, physics, AP calculus and physical science at FC. He feels passionate about his growing science lab.

“Having my own lab allows me to do in-class demonstrations,” Bucher said. “Whereas last year, I couldn’t do that because I was sharing the room with Dr. (Karen) Walters. I was going back and forth so I wasn’t able to watch it and there’s just not enough time in between classes to set up for the experiments. So I’m very appreciative of the school giving us a new science lab. It makes a big difference in the learning of students.”

Chemistry students practice first-hand the correct technique for conducting their experiements. Bucher states the importance of hands-on experiments during chemistry, physics and physical science.

“They have the chance to do, rather than just listen to me talk about it,” Bucher said. “There’s actually two purposes for in-class experiments. We’re training our students to be scientists and scientists have to work in a lab. The more lab experience they have and the more comfortable they feel in the lab, the higher quality and accurate their experiments are.”

For example, chemistry students use bunsen burners and test tubes to heat up several different materials, mix with acid and transform those materials into gas observing the physical change of properties in several situations.

Junior Bekah Micu appreciates the opportunity the smaller classroom setting gives for personal experimentation and learning.

[/media-credit] Scott Bucher and Kamryn Schultz, ’19, participate in a dry ice experiment.

“The hands on learning experience is much easier and more fun than just a lecture,” Micu said. “Today in class we mixed hydrochloric acid with zinc in a test tube and lit it on fire over a bunsen burner to observe the changes that took place. It’s cool that our class size isn’t humongous so we can get more personal help.”

Bucher has taught physical sciences for 33 years at multiple schools, including collegiate courses. He encourages learning technique and building a foundation through first hand encounters with chemicals and lab equipment.

“Our first lab we did nothing but technique,” Bucher said. “The second one we used some of those techniques and I taught them how to check for hydrogen and carbon dioxide. I’m trying to build a toolbox of how to do certain things and the labs allow for the students to learn by doing insteady of simply hearing.”

Annaleise Anderson can be reached via Twitter @AnnaleiseAnder1 and email.

For more articles read  Campus worship team leads worship chapel time and Lab floor makeover.