BREAKING: Grandparents Day, 2018

Students share school day with loved ones, family

As many occasions arise in the new school year, Grandparents Day at Fresno Christian is right around the corner. Students and faculty prepare for the 27th annual grandparent festivities, Sept. 21.

[/media-credit] Grandparents follow their grandchild through their schedule and gain insight into their campus education.

FCS arranges a day of worship, entertainment, and activities for the grandparents to enjoy as well as exploring their grandchildren’s classes. Beginning at 9:30 a.m., visitors receive coffee, pastries, a schedule, and a chapel service just for them (10 a.m.), anticipating a day to connect with family.

Principal Amy Deffenbacher elaborates on the importance of Grandparents Day as she is currently an FC parent and attended as a student. She helps arrange the event with many others, including Christy Rocca, the coordinator this year.

“My favorite moment is when we get to ask them how far they’ve traveled to be here,” Deffenbacher said. “It’s so amazing how far people are willing to come to stay with their grandchildren. I love how at FC, we still do a Grandparents Day. I know some schools aren’t able to pull of an event like this. I love that we still take a special day to spend with the grandparents and, as a school, saying thank you to the investments they’ve made into their grandchildren.

“We have a lot of new families again this year,” Deffenbacher continued. “I’m just excited that there are a lot of grandparents who have their first Grandparents Day ever and maybe their first experience with our school so that they’ll get to be involved in a new level of participating in our community.”

FC honors the grandparents a few weeks later than National Grandparents Day, Sept. 9. The purpose of it, according to Very Well Family, is “to honor grandparents, to give grandparents an opportunity to show love for their children’s children, and to help children become aware of the strength, information, and guidance older people can offer.”

Lifer Caleigh Alday tells her favorite moments at FC Grandparents Day and how long her grandparents have been attending.

“My favorite part about Grandparents Day is that it’s a great opportunity to connect with your grandparents and have some fun,” Alday said. “It’s hard if you’re busy after school and can’t really hang out with them as much, so it’s nice to have them at school. I’ve had the best privilege to have two sets of grandparents each year, from kindergarten to my sophomore year. My favorite memory with my grandparents is that every competition, piano recital, and event I’ve had, they are my number one supporters. I think this year they will have a lot of fun figuring out what I’m going to try to achieve, going through classes, I’m going to show them what to look forward to in the upcoming year.”

[/media-credit] Grandparents receive a complimentary meal during their time at FC.

Grandparents will attend a special chapel held in the SMC Main from 10-10:30 a.m. Following chapel, the grandparents will use their grandchild’s schedule to begin their tour until 11:40 a.m.

With her grandparents close by, sixth grader Grace Mindrep explains her experience of bringing grandparents last year. She says she enjoys the activities and meeting up with them.

“I loved hanging out with my grandparents and having them with me,” Mindrep said. “Since we hang out all the time after school, it was nice just having them at school. We did a few crafts, things like that, and we had a few snacks together.”

Fifth grader Brooklyn Medeiros shares her favorite part of Grandparents Day.

“Last year we did crafts and games,” Medeiros shared. “My grandparents got to help me make a dome map of California. It’s fun because your grandparents get to see what you do at school.”

Grandparents say their goodbyes after a free luncheon of turkey and ham sandwiches on croissants with chips and a dessert concluding the event at 12:30 p.m. There will be shuttle services available to and from the parking lots.

Grandparents engage with their elementary students, Sept. 30, 2017.

There is no need to RSVP, grandparents are encouraged to arrive between 9-9:30 a.m. For more information, contact the school via email.

For more articles, read Freshmen share aspirations for first year of high school. For more on last year’s Grandparents Day, read Grandparents engage with students during annual celebration.

This author can be reached via Twitter and via email.