Fresno Area College Night gives students options, provides information

A room full of opportunity

[/media-credit] Students approach college advisors to get more information on specific colleges, Sept. 12.

Community colleges, California State universities, and private school representatives from all over the country gathered at the Fresno Convention Center for Fresno Area College Night, Sept. 12. Each delegate prepared to answer questions from the thousands of students and parents that visited their booths.

High school students, ready to explore the available opportunities, bussed in from around Fresno County. The ages ranged from freshmen getting a taste for what their futures hold to seniors finalizing their decisions. Suky Cheema, ‘19, attended college night to see his options for the next chapter of his life.

“I went to the college fair because I wanted to see my options for college,” Cheema said. “I wanted to know if I could get into a UC or even a really good state school. I went to get a feel out of what colleges can offer.”

According to Fresno Area College Night officials, thousands of students filled the table-lined building. Covered in pamphlets, each table advertised large beachside campuses, urban universities, available scholarships and registration details. In an attempt to lure students to their schools, representatives spoke of their versatile programs and supportive campus communities.

All college representatives at the event declined to comment.

Campus academic advisor Evangelina Tello states the importance of attending college night and encourages students interested in applying to college.

“Students should really take advantage of this opportunity due to the fact that so many colleges from all over the country are represented,” Tello said. “This happens only once every year, and it’s right before applications open so students are able to get information about universities they’ll be applying to.

“For students who weren’t able to attend the Fresno Area College Night or wanted more information about certain colleges,” Tello continued. “Fresno Christian hosts a yearly college fair on campus, that all 327 students attended and a good majority did take advantage of that opportunity.

While few students confidently approached the delegates with prepared questions about their universities, many of the attending students wandered from table to table with glassy eyes, overwhelmed by the options.

Angelica Escalera, ‘19, talks about her experience at the college fair and encourages other students to mentally prepare to talk with so many different colleges.

“It was a good experience, just a little overwhelming with all the options, programs and people,” Escalera said. “I’d encourage other students to start early, researching their options to learn which schools offer the best options. For those planning to attend a college night, just keep an open mind and be prepared for the overwhelming amount of activity going on.”  

Sophia Kalugin,’19, took advantage of the local college fair, going to build connections and learn more information.

“I really wanted to hear from the representatives of the different colleges I was interested in,” Kalugin said. “I was able to learn a lot about what each campus provided, information you can’t just get from their website. By obtaining representatives personal information I’m now able to contact them one on one with any questions I have.”    

[/media-credit] Students fill out information papers to give colleges an idea of their interests, Sept. 12.

The Fresno Area College Night provided financial planning, admissions, and special interest sessions designed to inform and enhance high school students scholarship and college application preparations. Speakers included Amanda Thomas, Fresno City College counselor and Encarnacion Ruiz, Director of Admissions from UC Merced.

The Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) manned a booth and provided information to those exploring a career in the military. The ROTC is an elective curriculum that can be taken with your college education to pay for college tuition while training with the army. The program teaches leadership skills and give the tools to be able to compete in any environment and succeed. After graduation, students will be commissioned as an officer in the army.

According to the 2018 Fresno Area College Night pamphlet, PG&E sponsor representative Terry Metters Jr. Senior Manager, Fresno Division encouraged students attending the event.

“As you navigate toward those future goals, be inquisitive,” Metters wrote. “You have worlds of support around you willing to assist you and you are never alone. Remember, this will be your world soon and as such it will be up to you to shape it for yourself, and those who follow you.”

As the on campus academic advisor, Tello advises students to attend the college night. 

The connections forged and opportunities opened at the Fresno Area College Night will forever shape the lives of many students.

For more information on Fresno Area College Night read here

For more articles see Community colleges offer perks, cost efficient classes and College night informs public, provides opportunity

These authors can be reached via email [email protected] and [email protected]