Homecoming Happily Ever After: Moana’s Tropical Thursday

Full day of activities brings students excitement

[/media-credit] The judges finally decided to award the win to the queens during the royal battle.

Continuing the FCS homecoming festivities, students dressed up in Hawaiian themed outfits for Moana’s Tropical Thursday. Maintaining the tradition of the royal battle, five kings and five queens fought for victory in the annual dance-off. And during lunch the princess pageants continued.

English and drama teacher Kyle Dodson mc’d this year’s Royal Battle between the kings and queens. He appreciates the involvement of all areas of student life during homecoming. 

It’s a chance to celebrate everything that makes a school campus exciting,” Dodson said. “It brings forth the academics, it brings forth the athletics, and it brings forth all the extracurricular activities under one singular vision for celebrating all things about this campus. So it really is a chance to involve everybody K-12 not just a small group of people.”

During Thursday’s usual chapel the kings and queens competed to win a dance-off during two rounds of the vigorous battle. Some popular songs from the performances included: Bye Bye Bye by NSYNC, Hotline Bling by Drake, and Single Ladies by Beyonce. Finally, faculty judges, Greg Stobbe, Angie Counts, and Michelle Logan voted and awarded the win to the queens.

International student and last year’s elected homecoming princess, Serena Zhao, ‘20, sees the royal battle improving with each year and agrees with the judge’s decision.

“I think they made a lot of interactions with the audience and they chose very good songs so that makes it very interesting,” Zhao said. “It is so special because homecoming is a huge part of the school so I think all the students are looking forward to it. I think in the royal battle the girls this year made lots of improvements, so I was very happy that they won.”

On the other hand, Angel Ruelas, ‘20, believes that the boy’s group overall did better than the girls.

“My favorite part about the king and queen dances was when Griffin came on,” Ruelas said. “My favorite group was definitely the guys, they took it all the way. The guys, overall, did better in the dance as a whole. Music wise I think it was pretty evened out. The way the guys danced, in my opinion was better. The dance is the best part about homecoming.”

During lunch students filled the bleachers on the North Field while watching today’s princess pageant, Oct. 4. Princess candidates and queens played Kajabe Can-Can and eventually other students joined in.

[/media-credit] Princess candidates play Kajabi during the pageant at lunch, Oct. 4.

Over his five years at FCS Dodson has observed the changes in homecoming and values the increased participation.

“The main change I see is just the sheer amounts of students that participate,” Dodson said, “when I started here, homecoming was really only for a small group of students who got excited. And over the years it has grown to be something that all students can really get a chance to participate and feel like they have a voice and a chance to be a part of FCS.”

Ashley Zamarripa, ‘19, shares how it felt to perform the queen dance and how she hopes to become more involved in the activities as a senior. 

“I definitely think I have participated more my senior year because you know it’s your last year and you kind of want to participate as much as you can to celebrate getting through high school,” Zamarripa said. “I remember as a freshman going in and seeing all the activities they would do and I didn’t really understand and just thought they were fun. Now that I’m a senior I’m getting more into it since it’s my last year and I want to cherish every moment of it.”

In order to participate as much as possible, Suky Cheema, ‘19, dressed up every day to match the theme.

[/media-credit] Students dressed up in Hawaiian themed outfits to earn points for their individual classes.

“I have participated in the last three dress-up days,” Cheema said. “I participate in dressing up because it’s my final year of high school and I want to be involved as much as possible. I think the reason people should participate because it’s fun and you can make memories with your friends. You can look back at a certain day and say, ‘Hey! Do you remember when so and so wore that one shirt?’”

The final dress-up day is Super Spirit Day! The final activities and homecoming night will take place tomorrow, Oct. 5.

Campus gates open on the north field at 5:30 and concessions will be available by 6 p.m. Arrive early to meet up with friends and alumni for a carne asada taco dinner ($6), along with hot dogs, nachos, churros, chips, drinks, and candy. The homecoming court presentations are at 6:30 and kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m. against Frazier Mountain.

The following video recaps Day 4 of Homecoming Happily Ever After. Special thanks to Wes Hinton and Austin Petersen for filming and producing.

Homecoming Happily Ever After: Day 4 from The Feather Online on Vimeo.

For more information on the 34th annual FC homecoming, check out Captain America Monday,  Goofy’s Wide World of Sports Tuesday  and Sleeping Beauty’s Wake Up Wednesday. To see last year’s article day four of homecoming, read Homecoming for Humanity: PJ Thursday.

Vijay Stephen can be reached via Twitter and email.

Slideshow from Homecoming Ever After Day 4, Oct. 4.