Homecoming Happily Ever After: Spirit Friday

Students reflect on week of activity, anticipate football game

Classmates gather in the hallway. Ballots are distributed and they choose their homecoming candidates to support. Leadership advisors oversee the voting of homecoming candidates. Students cast one vote for their class princess of choice and a vote for homecoming king and queen.

After a week of activities and events, the final day of homecoming is here. In reflection, dress-up days included students and teachers participating for class points. Students wear their FC spirit wear for Friday’s theme: “Spirit Friday“.

After spectating the the king and queen royal battle, students show their school spirit in preparation for the excitement coming in the night to come.

Staff, students and families prepare for the game tonight that begins at 7 p.m. Along with the unveiling of the royal court, classes man the floats and present their creation and interpretation of  their theme. All these items require time to prepare and to appear presentable.

[/media-credit] Students support the “Spirit Day” theme by wearing Fresno Christian apparel.

Braden Bell, ’20, continues his third year of helping with the float. This year, the junior class based their float off the Disney movie “UP”. Bell’s hopes to design a float that incorporates every aspect of the movie into the float.

“Float building is one of my most anticipated events of the homecoming season,” Bell said. “As a class we have put so much time and effort into making this just how we wanted it. From the float we will be selling cake pops and cotton candy, all in an effort to raise money for the non-profit (Kids on a Mission). Tonight, I hope everyone will appreciate how much work we have put into building the float and chose to be as excited about raising money for the kids as we are.”

International student, Michael Huang, ‘19, discusses his excitement for the annual festivities.

“When I came in 2016, I was faced with with an all new culture,” Huang said, “which is a fun as a person who has never experienced it before. My favorite part of the week was when the kings and queens made an appearance on stage. I plan on coming tonight to support the school’s activities especially tonight because of its importance.

Freshman Vicky Topjian shares a freshman perspective of the week and describes what she is most looking forward to at the homecoming game.

“My favorite activity during the week was watching Mondays lunchtime princess activity Eat It or Wear It.” Topjian said. “I’m really looking forward to tonight’s game, I can’t wait to find out which princess, queen, and king candidates win and I hope we win our homecoming game.”

Friends and peers support their homecoming court candidates. Alina Ochoa, ’19, enjoys watching friends on the court participate in daily challenges. 

“My favorite part of the week was watching my friends compete in the king and queen battle on Thursday.” Ochoa said. “Pajama day was by far my favorite because I got to come to school in comfy clothes. I think this years homecoming week was different because now that I’m a senior I tried to go all out for the dress up days.”

[/media-credit] Princess candidates compete in daily competitions during lunch. Members of the senior queen court performed in a choreographed dance, Oct. 5.

Huang appreciates the effort staff and students place in costumes, floats and court contests. Huang recognizes differences in school celebrations in America and China.

“I really enjoyed this week’s activities,” Huang said. “After an enjoyable few days, everyone will go into the following weeks with a clear mind, which has a great effect on the improvement of learning efficiency. Another highlight from the week is all the dress-up days. Everyone enjoys wearing that usually unsuitable clothes to achieve a special effect. In China, we have many legal festivals, and we will have many shows to celebrate these festivals. We usually have a large number of students, so the atmosphere is especially good. That’s the main different in my experience with homecoming.”

Football players prepare for the game tonight against the Frazier Mountain Falcons. Seth Yancey, ’21, a returning player on the FC High school football team shares his feelings on tonight and how he feels the past week of activities has gone.

“I am feeling pretty confident that we are going to win,” Yancey said. “I play wide receiver. It was pretty exciting to see how outgoing the students are at the school for us. My favorite part was seeing all the students come together. It is going pretty good we have had our ups and downs, but in the end, we are having fun.”

Admission begins at 5:30 p.m. while the game begins at 7 pm allowing time for students, parents, and alumni to tour and view class floats along with meeting the candidates for this years court.

For more Homecoming articles read: Homecoming Happily Ever After: Moana’s Tropical ThursdayFor more articles, read Cast of Unbroken: Path to Redemption provide closure to WWII veteran.

Andrew Rieker can be reached via email.