Boys soccer kicks off under new head coach

Ramon Martin Del Campo takes over boys soccer

[/media-credit] Members of the varsity soccer team support new head coach Ramon Del Campo at the Fresno Foxes’ last game of the season. Del Campo starts as center back for the professional team.

After the departure of head coach Frank Brunnemann, many of the high school soccer boys became curious to see who their new coach for the season would be.

From the Fresno FC Foxes comes Ramon Martin Del Campo III.

Del Campo plays for the Fresno Foxes, after playing for other professional teams. He looks to further his coaching abilities as the new FC boys soccer coach.

Campo played on a full ride scholarship for 4 seasons at UC Davis, where he got called up for a stint with the US Men’s U-23 National Team. He continued to play soccer in Costa Rica for two years, and then went on to play in the North American Soccer League (NASL) and the United Soccer League (USL).

“I think being able to take charge of a high school team is incredible because these guys are a little more educated about the game,” Del Campo said. “You can get into tactics and skills, so I think it’s an awesome first step.”

After going 0-10 in league last year, Del Ramon is looking to setting a new standard for the team and aim higher.

“I told them the goal is to be above .500,” Campo said. “We’re not going to be happy with a 2-8 record, or a 1-9 record, barely succumbing what they did last year. We want be playoff contenders, and to do that, you need to be above .500. We want to finish this season strong.”

Executive Director of Discipleship & Teaching at CrossCity and FC Foxes Chaplain Brent Deffenbacher gets to see him on the field as well as in the locker room. 

“Ramon is kind, friendly, outgoing and very personable,” Deffenbacher said. “Not afraid to speak up about his faith, Ramon is often the first person to arrive at our team’s Bible studies and leads by example. Not only does Ramon stand physically taller and stronger than most soccer players, but he spiritually leads through his words and actions.”

“Ramon has not only been successful as a standout high school and soccer player, but has competed internationally and as a professional athlete,” Deffenbacher continued. “The same skill set, strategy,and intensity that Ramon experiences as a Fresno FC Fox, will be taught as the head soccer coach.” 

[/media-credit] Taking over boys soccer, Del Campo strives to set new standards for the program. His goal for the season is to finish with a record over .500.

Senior captain Alexander Rurik feels excited to finish off his high school soccer career under a coach that is both passionate and knowledgeable.

“So far we have had coach Ramon for about a week, and I can honestly say I love him as a coach,” Rurik said. “He’s very great in the way he coaches. He’s calm, very encouraging, which is a lot better than being negative. When you’re encouraging, it encourages the players to do well, and not be scared to make mistakes. He’s very open about the way he coaches, and it’s great.”

Campo has made his impressions to younger players as well. Freshman Avery Walters enters his first year of high school soccer and finds it thrilling to be coached by a professional player.

“My first impression of the coach was that he was a friendly, quick-witted guy,” Walters said. “I knew by the first practice he would push us hard but understand us at the same time. He’s very encouraging.”

The boys first game will be against Sierra HS, Nov. 26.

For more articles, check out WWII veteran Dr. Fitzalbert Marius encourages students toward service and 99th Annual Fresno Veterans Day Parade spotlights Air Force.

Logan Lewis can be reached via mail and Twitter @logan6300.