99th annual Fresno Veterans Day Parade spotlights Air Force

Parade honors veterans, brings back memories

The 99th annual Veterans Day Parade took place Monday, Nov. 12. An F-15 from the 144th Fighter Wing performed a flyover while the grand marshal, retired Lt. Colonel Larry Duba, gave a speech. Over 200 different organizations marched along downtown Fresno as speakers began in front of City Hall at 10:15 a.m., followed by the parade at 11 a.m.

[/media-credit] Veterans are honored as they ride in the 99th annual Veterans Day Parade, Nov. 12.

One of the largest events in the nation, over 30,000 people filled the streets as the Fresno parade and from 4-5000 participants honored those who fought and those who still fight for America’s freedom. With over 350,000 veterans in the Central Valley alone, over two million veterans reside in the state of California.

Nostalgia was in the atmosphere this year, as all veterans were asked to stand and raise their right hand while reciting the military oath of enlistment (reenlistment).

Originally named Armistice Day by President Woodrow Wilson in 1919, President Dwight D. Eisenhower officially changed the holiday name to Veterans Day in 1954 because it was to remember the sacrifices made by all our veterans.

This year the parade focused on honoring the Air Force. In attendance was 99-year-old Army and Air Force veteran Robert M. Leisle, who served in four infantry divisions and one Air Force squadron during his five years of service. He first got a taste of action in the Battle of the Bulge.

I was sent to join the infantry and the first battle I fought was the Battle of the Bulge. I had never been in combat before the Bulge, but boy oh boy it was a terrible sight! We wouldn’t even take our shoes off for three weeks. Frozen toes, my toenail is still not working right. — 99-year-old Army and Air Force veteran Robert M. Leisle

The Battle of the Bulge is known to be the costliest action ever fought by the U.S. Army, suffering 100,000 casualties. In December 1944, Adolph Hitler attempted to split the Allied armies with a surprise blitzkrieg attack through the Ardennes forest to Antwerp. As the Germans drove deeper into the Ardennes attempting to secure vital bridgeheads, the Allied line formed the appearance of a large bulge, hence the name we use for the battle today.

Connor Jens, ’19, interviews WWII veteran Robert M. Leisle, during the 99th annual Fresno Veterans Day Parade, Nov. 12.

Leisle fought at the Battle of the Bulge, risking his life for his countrymen and shared a few comments while watching the Fresno Veterans Day Parade.

“On December seventh as I was walking out of church, we got the news that Japan had attacked Pearl Harbor,” Leisle said. “I was sent to join the infantry and the first battle I fought was the Battle of the Bulge. I had never been in combat before the Bulge, but boy oh boy it was a terrible sight! We wouldn’t even take our shoes off for three weeks. Frozen toes, my toenail is still not working right.”

In 1945, Leisle went home. Born and raised in Fresno, he became a bus driver, working until full time retirement at the age of 83.

[/media-credit] Citizens line the streets to watch the bands and guards march in the parade.

Vietnam veteran Gerald Rudolph served from 1967-1968. Rudolph joined the U.S. Army after graduating high school because he lost his job. Rudolph received the Purple Heart for his time in Vietnam.

“Everyone was joining the service, so I did it,” Rudolph said. “If you enlisted in the Army or got drafted you were going to Vietnam. Unfortunately, I didn’t have an MOS (military occupational specialty) so they sent me to Vietnam. I went to Fort Pope for advanced infantry training. The only guys who didn’t go to Vietnam were those whose father was in Congress or had an in.

“I got wounded Nov. 6, 1968,” Rudolph continued. “I got hit with a booby trap that left me in the hospital for about six months. It sucked because I was two weeks away from being processed to go home.”

When asked why he appreciates the parade, Rudolph stated he just enjoys it. Seeing all the veterans and the high school bands play to honor those who sacrificed so much for America’s freedom makes him appreciate the people that surround him.

Veterans Day seeks to remember those who gave up everything for their country and honors the veterans who sacrificed their lives in order to give U.S. citizens a better future. At Fresno Christian, students recognize and learn about what veterans went through for our freedom and continue to support the efforts to honor them.

The following video captures the 99th Fresno Veterans Day Parade through the eyes of Feather videographer Braden Bell. Please leave a comment below why you appreciate veterans.

To find out more about past Veterans Day parades, read 98th Fresno Veterans Day Parade seeks to honor veterans, recognize service. For more articles, read UH-60L Blackhawk lands on campus and COLUMN: Spend time with loved ones this holiday season.

Check out WWII veteran Dr. Fitzalbert Marius encourages students toward service.

Connor Jens can be reached via email and via Twitter.

Slideshow images below are of the Fresno Veterans Day Parade, Nov. 12, by Avery Jones.