BREAKING: Winter sports rally announced

Student leadership looks to honor athletes, recognize achievement

[/media-credit] The senior class participates in a dodgeball tournament during the fall sports rally, Oct. 19, 2018.

The campus student body honors athletes playing on soccer and basketball teams, during the winter sports rally, Jan. 25. Student leadership hosts the rally in the PC gym during lunchtime with plans of a friendly competition between the teams.

Student leadership looks to honor the athletes on the girls and boys basketball team and the boys and girls soccer teams.

Freshman varsity basketball player, Orion Tomlinson, ‘22, appreciates the opportunity to compete at a higher level.

“It’s going really well,” Tomlinson said. “We are on a seven-win streak right now, in league games, I mean, I think that’s pretty cool. I think I’ve been doing really good personally myself in the games. You kind of have to adapt (as a freshman playing on varsity) and be more mature because you are a freshman and not older. So you have to act more mature and play a lot harder.”

During the bonfire rally, Sept. 28, students recognized the fall sports teams in anticipation for homecoming week.

Traditionally, student leadership hosts the seasonal sports rallies on a modified bell schedule. Due to the scheduling of the sports games this year, the rally will be during lunch to accommodate the teams. The bell schedule will not be modified for this rally as it will take place during the lunch period.  

Paul Cross interviews ASB activities director Logan Lewis, ’20, about the upcoming winter sports rally, Jan. 22.

Associated Student Body activities director, Logan Lewis shares the goal behind the upcoming rally.

“This rally is about is introducing our winter sports teams,” Lewis said. “We probably have the most sports during the winter. We have three basketball teams and two soccer teams, so it’s pretty crazy. Winter sports are a big deal here.

“The purpose of a rally is to introduce the teams and get students excited for what’s going to happen,” Lewis continued. “Maybe that night, maybe that week, you know, their next game. We are really trying to build a big fan base and a bunch of students to come and support these games.”

For more information on the records of each team, visit the respective teams’ box scores:

Boys soccer

Girls soccer

Girls basketball

Boys basketball

For more articles, read Local farmers markets thrive in winter months. For more on winter sports, read sports profile Fikse gears up for final basketball season.

This author can be reached via email.