PROMO: SCCCD workshop caters to community college applicants

Campus community college workshop benefits seniors

[/media-credit] The community college workshop brings advice to students applying to colleges, Sept. 25.

The start of fall approaches along with new college opportunities for first time community college applicants. The State Center Community College District (SCCCD) Application Workshop will be the first chance for seniors to sign up for community colleges in the Valley, Sept. 25.

The workshop will be held on campus in the LMC during third and fifth period. During the workshop, college representatives will assist seniors throughout the application process. The representatives will also be taking questions about upcoming community college courses offered next fall. 

Items needed to attend includes students’ social security numbers and laptops. During the event, students will be navigated through the application process. Seniors with and without a specific college in mind are encouraged to attend. Third-year academic advisor, Evangelina Tello oversees this event alongside local college representatives.

Tello hopes to give students an opportunity to apply and receive assistance from the college counselors themselves. Giving aid to students, Tello shares the benefits of attending this event, whether it be one of your options or your main goal to go to attend community college.

“This workshop is specifically for students who are interested in applying to a community college,” Tello said. “Whether this is their first option or a backup choice, I always tell students life happens and to have this as a backup plan. There is the honors program at community college, that is still an option to them as well.”

Five steps are included in the community college system. Step one is the application process. SCCCD reps will be guiding students throughout the application process so they are not prone to mistakes. This specific workshop will be only held once. The next workshop will be for the email activation step. Students who miss this event are welcome to contact and meet with Tello on a one-on-one basis.  

[/media-credit] Academic advisor Evangelina Tello, opens her office to students requiring information on upcoming workshops.

Tello shares some of the benefits students can receive while attending. She feels it reduces stress and makes it easier for students if they are present for the workshop.

“ . . . They have the opportunity to have their questions answered immediately and have a walk-through for the whole process,” Tello said. “I believe this is very beneficial especially to students who are applying to college for the first time. With all of our seniors this is a brand new experience and I want to make sure they feel supported.”

The advice Tello gives to the upperclassman is to not procrastinate and to make sure they have all  dates and deadlines in their phone or planner. This can help to prevent not getting accepted or not getting an application turned in because they missed a deadline.

Wanting to study business marketing and transfer those skills into fashion marketing, Max Munoz, ‘20, plans to keep his possibilities open when it comes to college. 

“I have a full plan in my head to attend Fresno State,” Munoz said. “I have not heard about the event on campus and may be interested in attending if it captivates my attention. I most likely will plan to attend the SCCCD event because it’s always good to keep your options open when it comes to college.” 

Singing with the worship team and involved in color guard, senior Shauna Howard shares the interest of attending the workshop as a backup plan.

“I’m interested in community college as a back-up,” Howard said. “I have heard about the workshop and I plan on attending so I can ensure my application follows all guidelines. I want to keep my options open because I never know what could happen between now and the end of the school year and I might change my mind about where I want to go.”

In the following podcast, Faith Monroy interviews Mark McNiff about the contents of the workshop, Sept. 20. Helping thousands of high school seniors for 34 years, academic advisor at Fresno City College, McNiff enlightens students on what to expect at a workshop. 

A graduate of Liberty High, Conner Mcpherson, ’19, shares about his experience of attending a workshop at his school  Mcpherson is currently in his first year of majoring in criminology at Madera Community College Center. 

“I did attend the workshop,” Mcpherson said. “Community was my first choice. I wasn’t swayed by the meeting because it was my plan from the beginning to go. The meeting is very informative for those who don’t know where to go. At community you get the same classes as anyone at a UC for way cheaper and it’s better if you don’t know what you want to do yet. It gives you more options and time to figure that out without wasting money.”

For a list of upcoming deadlines and dates, read Seniors: Applications, tests, deadlines. Oh my!

For more information about Fresno City College, contact Mark McNiff via email.

Evangelina Tello can be reached by appointment in the main high school and junior high office or via email: [email protected]

For more articles, read FC welcomes families to 28th annual Granparents Day or Freshman Rachel Moate excels in varsity volleyball.