Campus Daddy Daughter Date Night highlights importance of community

Fundraiser supports instrumental program, connects attendees of all ages

[/media-credit] There were 180 participants in the second annual Daddy Daughter Date Night, Oct. 11.

A pack of cowboys and cowgirls began arriving at the Peoples Church gym for a night of dancing and Western-inspired food, 6-8 p.m., Oct. 11. With 180 participants, girls from kindergarten to 12th grade accompanied their male guests to the second annual Daddy Daughter Date Night.

Organized by Lesley Bannister, the family-bonding event allows pairs to make lasting memories through intentional time together. This is Bannister’s sixth year teaching as an instrumental director on campus.

“It was fun seeing dads showing their daughter how they deserve to be treated and what the expectation is for how they should be treated in future relationships,” Bannister said. “It’s such a fun community event. I love how our band gets to be apart of encouraging and supporting community on our campus.”

A barbecue meal of tri-tip, potatoes, chips and beans was served. The dessert bar topped it all off and included a variety of s’mores ingredients. Besides making s’ mores, activities included “pin the tail on the horse”, arts and crafts and dancing.

Jon Wills, ‘02 campus graduate, took brought his oldest daughter and kindergartener Reese Wills. He and his daughter look forward to partaking in next year’s Daddy Daughter Date Night as well.

“I really think the FCS community benefits greatly from events like this,” Wills said, “by building the relationships that are so important to all of us. I really think the FCS community benefits greatly from events like this by building the relationships that are so important to all of us. Some of these kids will be together until they graduate high school and beyond so being able to get to know their families is very important to my wife and I. I think this is one of the great benefits of FCS is the real sense of community and family. It is such a privilege to be part of. My family could not be any happier with the school.”

Some of these kids will be together until they graduate high school and beyond so being able to get to know their families is very important to my wife and I. I think this is one of the great benefits of FCS is the real sense of community and family. It is such a privilege to be part of. My family could not be any happier with the school.

Rosanelli Barrios, ‘20, was the only senior at the fundraiser. Heart-warmed at the sight of many little girls, Barrios shares a mix of her highlights from the night.

“When I saw the little girls,” Barrios said, “I felt happy. I felt warm-hearted. I felt like I wanted to be young again and be able to have the chance to dance with my dad at a school.”

In the following podcast, Zoe Bull and Summer Foshee interview four kindergarten girls after the Daddy Daughter Date Night.

Line dancing to songs such as “The Git Up” encouraged pairs to group together. Emmie Bessey, ’25, a first-time band member helped run the night’s events and attended with her father.

“It was fun. I went into the line dancing and I kinda helped some people,” said Bessey. “I ran the game booth and I helped with some of the arts and crafts.”

The following tweet features a video from the Daddy Daughter Date Night, Oct. 11.

Tori Tarlton, ‘23, experienced her first Daddy Daughter Date Night and enjoyed spending time with her dad at the dance.

“I think the band did a great job setting up and it looked really nice,” Tarlton said. “The most memorable part was that our dads participated in it and that we got to see them dance — it was pretty funny. We did the dance to ‘The Git Up’ and they taught us different line dances.”

[/media-credit] While at the Daddy Daughter Date Night, attendees participated in various activities and finished the night off with s’mores.

A $30 fee for a daddy-daughter pair, plus $10 for an additional daughter, helps fund the upcoming band and color guard trip to Hawaii, Nov. 20-25, and includes performances, workshops and team-bonding activities on Oahu. Bannister estimated the band raised $700 that night. They have raised about $5000 in total towards the trip.

Christopher Mericle, ’24, traveled with the band last year so he knows what to look forward to in Hawaii. Both the Eagle and FC band performed and received awards in gold and silver last year after performing in Disneyland.

“Disneyland was fun,” Mericle said, “we were performing and receiving our  awards at Disneyland. Fundraising coupon books helped pay for our tickets. This year I’m looking forward to the variety that we’re doing. We’re gonna be performing in Pearl Harbor and we’re also going to be visiting different monuments in Hawaii, which will be very fun.”

Deemed a successful night by Bannister, she intends to continue the tradition by hosting this event next fall.

For more articles, read Ezekiel Fuller displays work ethic through on campus, off campus activities and COLUMN: New world challenges, culture shock drive new resolve, pt. 2

Zoe Bull can be reached via email and via Twitter

Summer Foshee can be reached via email and via Twitter

FC students attend the 2nd annual daddy-daughter date night