PROMO: Spotlight Productions puts on “The Grinch”, Dec. 3, 11

Campus drama class engages in holiday festivities with Christmas production

[/media-credit] High school and middle school drama students created mockups of their costumes on paper dolls for “The Grinch” Christmas production. First-year drama teacher Megan Conner, right, applies make-up to the Grinch, senior Colten Allen.

The high school and middle school drama class prepare for their Christmas production, “The Grinch”, Dec. 3 and 11. Their first performance will be in the Student Ministry Center (SMC) for all campus elementary students from 2-2:45 p.m.

The second and third shows are at West Fresno Elementary School for the students, Dec. 11, at 1:45 and 2:25.

Megan Conner, the first-year drama teacher, adapted the play for her drama class. She combined the original book, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” by Dr. Seuss, with elements from the film “The Grinch” (2000). Conner elaborates on how the story teaches her students a useful lesson.

“We actually chose the Grinch,” Conner said, “because one of the things we’re working on in drama class is learning how God gave us our gifts and that they’re from Him and we want to use them to serve Him and to serve others. So, I wanted to start off our production year doing a service project.”

Unlike campus Christmas productions of the past, the drama team will travel to a different school to perform the play. Conner purchased 1000 candy canes, one for every child expected to attend all the performances in total. Conner explains what sets children’s theater apart from standard productions.

“The whole point is to just bring joy to kids,” Conner continued. “It’s to make them laugh; it’s to be super silly. It’s total engagement with the kids, all the time. So the Grinch talks to them, he goes in and out of the audience and he runs around. So really, the whole point is to bring joy to those kids.”

In the following podcast, freshman Summer Foshee interviews Danielle Arndt, who portrays Cindy Lou Who in the Grinch performance.

Sixth grader, Danielle Arndt, makes her debut with the drama team as Cindy Lou Who. One of the most meaningful lines of the play to Arndt comes from the scene where her character tries to convince the Grinch to join in the Whoville festivities.

“[The line] is more about sharing the joy of the season with others,” Arndt said. “I feel like it gives the most “oomph” into the play because it just shows that this is Christmas and it’s to be enjoyed. We get to share Christmas with kids who don’t usually get to see plays and performances.”

[/media-credit] Art student Cassandra Ledet, ’20, helps paints backdrops for the upcoming play “The Grinch”, depicting Whoville and the Grinch’s cave.

Colten Allen, ‘20, portrays the Grinch in the upcoming play. Contrary to Arndt, Allen is a six-year high school drama student.

“I have to do so many things, Allen said. “I have to make sure everything is all set up, I have to make sure everything is memorized, and I have to paint my face and hair green. We’ve practiced hard, we’ve prepared well, and I feel confident it will be a good time, above all else.”

The drama students will be attending the Fresno State University theater open house and program auditions, Dec. 5.

For more articles, read Join the Discussion: Thanksgiving 2019 or Disney+ launches, provides streaming alternative. 

Summer Foshee can be reached via email and via Twitter.

The slideshow below includes images from the middle school and high school drama class pulling off the first performance of ‘The Grinch’, Dec. 4.