Emergency preparedness spreads school wide

FC prepares for crisis, updates emergency kits

[/media-credit] FC administration curates a list of emergency supplies to fill buckets around campus.

From the moment two Boeing 767 planes headed into the World Trade Centers on 9/11 to the wildfires that raged across California in 2019, the topic of local and nationwide emergencies continue to stimulate conversations surrounding emergency preparedness.

The fires, shootings and viruses impacting America prompt communities to assemble emergency kits in order to defend against potential crises. According to Ready, a national public service campaign promoting preparedness through public involvement, the most important steps in proactivity include staying informed, building an emergency supplies kit and engaging with the community.

Following a new development on campus, FC staff and teachers place updated emergency kits in each classroom. They are to be accessible if an emergency breaks out and provide for hydration, hunger and facility needs.

Campus English teacher Andrea Donaghe appreciates the efficiency of the emergency buckets placed in her classroom. The former public school educator has experienced lockdowns in the past and supports preparations in case of one.

“Because numbers fluctuate in classrooms it’s smart to have kits so we have the necessary amount of supplies in case of a lockdown,” Donaghe said. “It includes everything in case of using the facilities, or even a snack for the kids and water to stay hydrated. What they’ve supplied us with is relevant and makes sense. Nothing in there is wasteful and the fact that it fits in one bucket is really cool.”

Classrooms are required to have enough supplies for the amount of students that could be present. Supplies include a first aid kit, plastic bags, cups, snacks, cat litter, toilet paper, blankets, flashlights, batteries, hand sanitizer, a Kleenex box, gloves and a case of water. Lollipops are also included if students are required to stay quiet.

In the following podcast, Morgan Parker, ’21, interviews English teacher Andrea Donaghe about emergency plans.

Donaghe shared her classroom experience with a lockdown and how important it is to have one at home as well.

“We never know how long a lockdown is going to be,” Donaghe said. “Being part of a lockdown where I was in my classroom for two hours, if there were children involved you have to think ahead as to what you will need. For my own home, I have a kit with water, batteries and canned food if electricity gets cut off.”

Important items to have prepared in case of a crisis start with food and water to stay hydrated and sustained. For power outages, batteries and generators often make for a quick fix in a home.

In the following tweet, Ready shares the importance of knowing how to protect against sever storm conditions, especially with the recent news of the Nashville tornado.

Superintendent Jeremy Brown shares how the school prepares for emergency situations. Brown, as well as administrators in the campus central office, coordinate safety precautions to relay to all FC teachers.

“We are prepared for any emergency,” Brown said. “[Anything from] if staff and students would need to vacate the premises quickly, or any scenario in which staff and students would need to remain in their classroom/office for an extended period of time.”

[/media-credit] Each classroom obtains an emergency kit including supplies for a crisis along with a case of water bottles.

The school is required to be prepared for any crisis, some of which might include fires or hazards inside the buildings. They strive to act quickly if an accident were to happen on or near the campus requiring a lockdown.

“It is the teachers’ responsibility to be prepared with emergency procedures on hand while knowing their responsibilities and lines of communication,” Brown said. “The students must listen closely to instructions and follow without question. Parents are to encourage their students to listen and be obedient to teachers and staff members.”

Families are encouraged to have an emergency plan in place for evacuations or a disaster that would necessitate a long stay in the home with no power or water.

Senior Hannah Garcia, founder of the FC Serve Club, explores the importance of being prepared at school. Garcia encourages students to learn the safety precautions.

“I think it is important that they make sure we have emergency kits,” Garcia said. “We need to have supplies to help us. As a student it is our responsibility to help our fellow classmates and to make sure we are all safe.”

As California areas are challenged with natural disasters and school emergencies, students educate themselves on school and community safety. Staying aware and gaining knowledge about preparedness creates an environment of clarity amidst disaster.

For more articles, read EDITORIAL: Stereotyping negatively impacts communities, personal growth and Mason Blowers exhibits talent in multiple sports, campus groups.

Morgan Parker can be reached via email and via Twitter.