COLUMN: Student Body President encourages community to find joy, preserve

Braden Bell shares hope for future, skills gained from Fresno Christian

[/media-credit] Student Body President and senior Braden Bell reminisces on the skills he has developed while attending FCS.

The finish line is in sight for many and the countdown to graduation continues for seniors. With around two months of school left, a feeling of dreariness and boredom sets in. Yet, I would like to encourage everyone to continue working their hardest and push through the changes: isolation from friends, teachers and the normal.

Coming to the end, it is important to look back on the year and the things we’ve learned on campus. I realize that Fresno Christian students are special and have a unique opportunity to learn every day. From the life lessons we learn to the lasting friendships that are made, students not only receive an education but learn how to be quality people.

Most recently, not only our campus but the entire world has faced many challenges due to the coronavirus epidemic. In these times of hardship, people either choose to fall apart, letting doubt and fear take over, or they bind together and commit to overcoming.

With all the chaos that surrounds us today, we are able to see how others react. We see the efforts the government makes to ensure that the needs of the people are met and how communities come together to support one another. The knowledge that we can get through this should encourage us in the future when other issues surface.

In the book of Romans, the Apostle Paul reminds us that perseverance produces character.

“Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” (Romans 3:3-5)

Fresno Christian has chosen to persevere. Through the use of WebEx, Schoology, YouTube and many other media platforms, we have set up a new way of alternative learning. From home, students are not only studying their core subjects but are also learning how to better use technology to communicate.

The following tweet further explains how students use various media platforms to learn.

Technology as a means of communication is a crucial skill which is necessary for our fast-paced and ever-changing society. On campus, students are required to bring their own device (BYOD), in order to fully interact with the classes and further develop their technology proficiency.

Along with technological savviness, life skills learned in classes include: art, home ec., choir, leadership, chemistry and math. Skills such as creativity, leadership, time-management and team-work are useful in many aspects of life even after high school.

Skills of dedication and commitment are useful in college classes, clubs and sports. The art of nurturing a relationship can be useful in many ways, especially at home as well as with friends and teachers. Finally, professionalism and the skills of a handshake, eye contact and good posture are a necessary aspect for any job.

Some of the most useful skills I’ve learned during my four years on campus are a result of The Feather. Getting the chance to interview numerous professionals in different fields and broadening my horizons were just a few perks. Thanks to the advisors and the students, this team has assisted in growing my confidence, knowledge of journalism and how to start and maintain a balanced conversation, all of which will help me in the future.

It is incredible to see each of these skills are incorporated into daily life on campus.

In the following video, Student Body President, Braden Bell, ’20, challenges students to encourage, help and connect during this time away from school, March 27.

How has Fresno Christian impacted your life and what makes it special to you? Let us know in the comment section and share a favorite memory with us.

For my Braden Bell’s last column as student body president, check out COLUMN: Student body president shares importance of living a purposeful life.

For more articles, read Join the Discussion: Alternative learning at home or COIN releases third studio album, ‘Dreamland’.

Braden Bell can be reached via Twitter.