New Teachers and Students back to school online

New teachers present expectations for new school year

One by one at the sound of a beep, teachers observe the faces of students login to virtual classrooms as Fresno Christian begins the 2020-21 school year, Sept. 8. Now, instead of driving miles to reach school, students find themselves walking no more than a few yards and plugging in their laptops and smartphones to attend classes.

[/media-credit] History teacher and leadership advisor Robert Foshee adjusts to the new FCS Alternative learning model, meeting with students behind a computer screen.
Teachers adjust their methods and curriculum to better accommodate online schooling. From sending class invites to students to setting up improved microphones and lights, they adapt to the virtual environment.

Despite new difficulties with the alternative learning format, three new junior high and high school teachers begin the year without the usual in-person introduction.

Previously taught by Megan Connor, David Casuga, an FCS alumnus and assistant band director, takes over the drama program for the 2020 school year. Teaching drama for the first time, Casuga shares his goals for the class and his students.

“My goals for drama are first and foremost that the students develop a strong confidence in their ability to perform,” Casuga said. “Performing arts, no matter the medium, is all about the experience of vulnerability in front of a live audience and overcoming that vulnerability. Despite the obvious restrictions put in place by regulations of COVID-19, I still hope to put out at least one play this year. I would love to reward the hard work that the kids will be putting in with a show that the audience will thoroughly enjoy.”

FCS allows more interactive classes such as drama, home economics and student leadership to meet in small, socially-distanced groups on campus. Lecture-based classes such as math, English and history accomplish almost everything online. Teachers find ways to connect with students using online classes.

[/media-credit] New eighth grade teacher Nicole Larson takes on the subject of History  with hopes to achieve  a sense of community within her classroom.
After 31 years of Hallie Rojeski as the eighth grade history teacher, the class now falls into the hands of Nicole Larson. Larson, married for 28 years and mother of three, returned to school to become a teacher after finding the real estate business unfulfilling.

“My students will learn that they are valued and have an important purpose and calling in this world; ordained by God,” Larson said. “They are an important part of history and can learn from the past, present, and the future. I hope my students will be excited about their faith and learn about the importance of history in a fun and meaningful way while creating a strong sense of community.”

Despite the lack of interactivity, teachers still make an effort to instill critical thinking in their students. FCS teachers attempt to express and teach their faith without the usual engagement. Though students have access to the internet during classes, teachers attempt to teach critical thinking in place of search engines.

After the departure of Nathan Case, a replacement was found in Jacob Cantu. Cantu studied biology at Fresno Pacific University, preparing him to teach biology, AP Biology, and anatomy/physiology here at FCS. Besides teaching, Cantu plays the drums during worship services at Peoples Church. Cantu’s sister-in-law happens to be Makayla Davila, ’22, a student at FCS.

Students can expect to learn something new everyday,” Cantu said. In my class, a properly well-thought-out question is worth more than any answer you can pull up on Google. I want all my students this year to learn that science isn’t just a class where you learn cool facts, but instead acquire tools and information that help you understand God’s great universe.”

Student body adjusts to alternative learning

With about 204 FCS high school students, and 16 who are new, all members share in the difficulties of online learning. As teachers strive to adjust and provide the best for students in a new learning environment, students also grapple with changes brought on by CA health guidelines. Though assimilating in person is subject to the ever-changing state regulations, many students look forward to a time where school can commence as usual.

New student, Mason Petrie, ’23, joins FCS this fall semester online. As a former homeschooler and Clovis High student, Petrie wanted the fun and comforting school feeling he grew up with, and hopes to find it here at FCS.

“I settled with Fresno Christian already knowing lots of people and so far it has been very good, and it should be even better once we go back in person,” Petrie said. “Starting school online comes with it’s own new challenges and problems to deal with making it slightly more difficult than class in person. Personally I do not enjoy online learning, but every day I try and make it the best I can despite the ongoing issues connected with the online experience.”

As the present learning model proves to be a significant change and challenge for many, students also recognize the perks that it has brought along the way. The new class schedule seems to be a favorite among students as all classes are set to end at 12:30 p.m. leaving room for after school clubs and activities.

Sophomore Hannah Scott shares a similar viewpoint as Petrie; also recognizing the convenience of the half day schedule.

“I personally didn’t want to start the school year online, but I feel like it’s going as smoothly as possible, and It’s pretty manageable,” Scott said. “The classes I am most excited for are probably art or math. Math is my favorite subject because I feel like I can understand it pretty well. One thing I like better about learning online is getting done with school a lot sooner than if we actually went in person.”

[/media-credit] Sophomore Hannah Scott looks forward to a time where in class learning will continue, yet also appreciates the half day school schedule.
While most find the alternative learning model less than ideal, foreign exchange student Xiaoyi Chen, ’22, reveals a different perspective.

“I feel that there is no difference between online teaching and normal teaching,” Chen said. “I prefer online learning because it’s very convenient, because even if I ask for leave, I can also record videos from teachers.”

With new members of the FCS family coming to terms with the realities of online learning, numerous seniors feel the impact and frustrations that COVID and CA health guidelines have placed on their last year of high school. Fresno Christian lifer (attending FCS since kindergarten) Caleigh Alday is determined to make her senior year a memorable experience despite the current circumstance.

“As a lifer, growing up in a school you’ve been at your whole life, you build up all this excitement, especially for senior year,” Alday said. “I wanted this year to be the experience of a lifetime that didn’t require my temperature being taken every time I go into a building or staying so many feet away from people when you just want to say hi.”

“Whether it be hanging out with my friends or taking in that it was my “first last day” at FCS, I still want to experience and sink in all the moments before they’re gone. This year wasn’t anything we thought it would be so I don’t know exactly what will happen but what I do know is that God knew COVID was going to happen and He knows what’s going to happen tomorrow and the next.”

While this new way of life may keep students physically distanced from their teachers and peers, it is the commonalities that bring the FCS community together. In the event of these unexpected trials, students and teachers work together to bring success to the school year, even if it is through a computer screen.

For more articles, read Creek Fire survivors recount escape, valley community affected and FC administration faces unknown obstacles amid new school year.

Jewel Chandler can be reached via Twitter @JewelCh93942415 and via email. 

Brayden Iest can be reached via Twitter @braydeniest and via email.