21-22 Homecoming day No.1 wrap up

With the return of regular sports seasons, homecoming is officially back! Starting on Sept. 13 and ending on Friday night’s football game, Sept. 17, this week is packed with competition. Classes earn points through princess pageants, king and queen ceremonies, participation in dress up days, and floats. This year’s overall theme is “Homecoming for Humanity.” Each class votes on what charity they want to support then raises money for that cause until the football game. Before the game, the royal court will be introduced, then crowned at halftime. 

[/media-credit] The juniors pictured above wear t-shirts from their youth group at The Well Community Church for “Matching Monday,” Sept. 13.

Matching Monday

You’re not seeing double – it’s ‘Matching Monday’ for the first homecoming dress up day, Sept. 13. Students and faculty dress in matching attire including matching shoes, socks, shirts, hairstyles, and hats.

Each day of the week, points are awarded to each class based on the number of students that dress up. Tomorrow, find your inner lumberjack for ‘Timber Tuesday.’

[/media-credit] Freshman Lyla Hinton chooses to eat a pickle at the princess pageant, Sept. 13

Freshman princesses pageant: Eat it OR Wear it. 

At lunch, students head out to the north field for princess pageant festivities. First, leadership students introduce the freshmen princesses: Grace Grech, Lyla Hinton and Milly Morgan. Next, all the princesses are presented with foods they either have to eat or “wear”. All the candidates chose to eat their food item except Milly Morgan, ’25, who wore canned tuna.

Freshman Grace Grech was elected by her class to become a princess. Outside of school, she enjoys riding horses and competitively show jumping.

“I am most looking forward to representing my freshman class alongside two other great girls,” Grech said,  “and getting to stand out on the field all dressed up with all the other Homecoming court and watch the game.”

Water for South Sudan

Water for South Sudan’s mission is to improve the quality of life for the people of South Sudan through building and fixing wells and educating communities on hygiene. 

The founder, Salva Dut, was separated from his family at the age of eleven when the Sudanese Civil War ravaged his village. After living in multiple refugee camps, ten years later Dut was adopted by a family in Rochester, New York. There Dut learned that his father was alive, but suffering from waterborne parasites, inspiring him to found Water for South Sudan.

To donate, go to this link.

Float Building Wraps Up

With homecoming approaching quickly, classes conclude their float builds. Students on the float building committees have to work together to build a float based on their charity.

This is sophomore Jake Wyatt’s second year on the Leadership team, but his first year building a float.

“I’m very excited for it,” Wyatt said, “my grade has been working hard on our floats and I’m excited to see it all come together homecoming night and how well it does in the competition.”

To learn more about FC Homecoming 2021, read Celebrate the 36th FC homecoming: We’re back in 2021!

What to know the freshman homecoming candidates, visit Introducing your 2021 freshman homecoming candidates!

The slideshow below contains photos of matching  pairs or groups and the princess pageant, Sept. 13.