Benefits of taking the PSAT

[/media-credit] Students across nation take the PSAT to prepare for the upcoming SAT/ACT, Oct. 13

Each October Junior, Sophomore and some Freshman students sign up to take the four hour PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test) in hopes to familiarize themselves with this style of test and get a base line. This has always been a high school standard practice until COVID when SAT testing and scores were not readily available.

That leaves us to wonder if  the SAT  test still hold the same level of importance as it used to for College admissions?

Academic adviser, Evangelina Escovedo,  encourages students to take the practice test and proctors them through the details.

“The PSAT is the practice test of the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test),” Escovedo said. “The SAT has a reading, math, writing and language section. It’s important for students to research if any colleges on their list require this test so they can prepare with the PSAT to get the best score on the SAT to send to colleges. The PSAT is an optional practice test that students can take once during their freshman, sophomore, and junior year.”

Your PSAT score might qualify you for a National Merit Scholarship.

When you take the PSAT, you may earn a qualifying score to enter the National Merit Scholarship Program and compete for national recognition and college scholarships. To be considered for a National Merit Scholarship, you must also satisfy high academic standards and other requirements.

“The best resource to study is CollegeBoard,” Escovedo said. “Students can create an account and receive testing tips and practice questions to prepare for both the PSAT and SAT. Many four year universities will require it for admission, placement tests, or use it to build your scholarship offer. Each test will take a few hours. However, since the PSAT is a practice test it’ll be shorter. Sign in on their CollegeBoard account and utilize the many practice tests and resources they offer to high school students. Here at FCS, about 50-100 students take the PSAT each year.”

[/media-credit] Due to COVID-19, colleges aren’t basing acceptances off of PSAT scores.

The PSAT is not identical to the SAT. In fact, the majority of students don’t feel it’s necessary to study prior to taking the test.

The PSAT is recommended by many teachers, but due to the pandemic, numerous colleges are overthrowing SAT/PSAT scores.

Complete Guide: Colleges Not Requiring SAT Scores, (PrepScholar) offers affordable online prep courses for the SAT, ACT, ect. and further expands on ignoring SAT scores.

“As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic,” PrepScholar said, “2020 SAT exams were canceled across the United States. To accommodate this, some schools have instituted a temporary test optional policy for students who are applying to college during the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 admissions cycles.”

Blake Bridges, ‘24, describes his personal experience taking the PSAT and how he prepared for it.

“So I took the PSAT one time last year,” Bridges said. “ This will be my second time. I tried to prepare with the PSAT, I prepare by finding apps and then practicing with them. My sister also took it last year and my brother took it about 16 years ago. The materials that you would need for the test is your student ID card, and a calculator, the school provides you with everything else. But before the test begins you have to give them your phone and your smartwatch as well, if you own one.”

The highest score one can receive on the PSAT is 1600, with the overall average ranging from 320 to 1520.

“I had never taken it,” Braelyn Riffel, ‘24 says. “I did not study or prepare for it. I took it so I can be more comfortable with taking the SAT, also both of my sisters took it. I brought a calculator, pencil and snacks.”

Avery Loeffler, ‘22, cheerleader, talks about her acquaintance with the PSAT

“I took both the SAT and PSAT,” Loeffler said, “I took the PSAT freshman, sophomore, and senior year and it helped a lot. If you have the chance to take it, you should.”

Your PSAT score can help indicate your future SAT score.

Silas Emerian, ‘23,V. tennis player, worship team, and speed cuber addresses his correlation with the PSAT.

“The PSAT was very beneficial,” Emerian said. “It helped me prepare for the real SAT. It was a good decision to take it. I have taken the PSAT about three times. I took it for extra practice.”

For more information on what the PSAT is and why you should take it, follow this link
https://www.kaptest.com/psat/what-is-the-psat