37th annual Homecoming: “Dreaming Through the Decades”

Countless hours devoted to float-building, dance practice and rallies raise enthusiasm amongst students for the 37th annual homecoming night, “Dreaming through the Decades,” Sept. 23. Excitement roars amidst the packed stands as the homecoming court parades across the field at half-time homecoming night.

Mariah Regalado, ’23, a first year student at FCS participated on all the dress-up days experiencing a welcoming and exuberant student body.

Everyday has been a lot of fun, the amount of people that participated and came to homecoming surprised me,” Regalado said.

Todd Arndt, ’88 ,volunteered at the school’s booster club concession stand to raise funding for cheer. The alumni was more than happy to drop his free to support the school that his children were and are apart of.

“It was so great to come out and see how much this place has grown, it’s been such a blessing to volunteer and donate my time to this school because it’s definitely given back,” Arndt said.

Eagles defeat Riverdale 

The Fresno Christian Eagles maintained a strong defense and offense the entirety of the game. The game ended with a 48-14 lead over Riverdale Christian.

Varsity and JV cheerleaders kept crowd engagement throughout the game.

Carson Gray, ’23, a captain of the football team has only been playing the sport for two years, he shares his excitement for the exhilarating and the potential the future season withholds.

“I expected Riverdale to come and hit hard because of their size, but the outcome was about what I expected,” Gray said. “It felt pretty good knowing that we got to play the younger players too after a hard game like that.”

The next game will take place on Oct. 1, at Orcutt Academy. The next home game will be Oct. 7, against the Sierra Chieftains, while the elementary cheerleaders entertain the crowd for the night as well.

Homecoming court

During halftime, queen candidates rode across the field in five Ford Broncos to the front of the stands. Once reaching to stands, they were escorted to the field by parents and king nominees. Recorded speeches played to introduce each candidate to the crowd.

Ashley Logan, ’22, won Senior Queen last year, she returns as an alumna, traveling all the away from GCU.

Logan said, “It’s nice that I get to be back here at home from college, it’s super exciting coming back and seeing everyone and it’s fun to be a part of it again.”

The morning of, the student body voted for one candidate from their class, as well as a senior king and queen candidate. As the crowd roared with excitement and cheers, winners were announced by Daniel “Bulldog” Jessing.

The senior winners, left to right, Brandy Penberthy (Queen), Andrew Scully (King), Aiden Munoz (Prince), Zoe Bull (Princess).

Senior King – Andrew Scully

Senior Prince – Aidan Munoz

Senior Queen – Brandy Penberthy

Senior Princess – Zoe Bull

Junior Princess – Serenity Cortez

Sophomore Princess – Julia Castiglione

Freshman Princess – Jordyn DeGroot

After the prince, princesses, king and queen were crowned, people flocked to the court to give their congratulations. The victors were in absolute shock to hear their own name called out, the senior winners express their ecstasy.

“It feels good, I honestly didn’t think I was going to win,” Scully said. “It wasn’t really that stressful I just went out there and stood there, it was pretty easy.”

“It feels really good, I don’t even know what to think right now. It was definitely stressful but it’s worth it now,” Penberthy said.

“It feels pretty good, it’s a big affirmation from the whole school and it was a lot fun. There was a lot of preparation for the royal battle, but for tonight it was just put on a suit and go to rehearsal,” Munoz said, “I am pretty happy and happy to talk to my friends and have fun.”

“I can’t believe it, I don’t even have words to describe it. I am so proud of everybody in our class and I just think that it’s a really awesome opportunity and I am super grateful,” Bull said, “There was a lot of stress for preparation, but it was good stress, it was still stress but it was great, it was fun and busy, and one of the busiest weeks of my life honestly, but it was great.”

Congratulations to all the homecoming court winners!

To purchase photos of the candidates and other homecoming scenes, go to The Feather Online Smug Mug.

Floats

High school classes spent the last three weeks designing and building their floats to display homecoming night. Judges and the amount of money raised for each float determined the winner, with the results announced in third quarter.

The funds raised were for the Poverello House, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing food, shelter and social services. The Poverello House also had a food truck and volunteer information booth set up to spread awareness to their program.

The Sophomore Class won first place for floats.

First place – Sophomores – 1950s

Styled after a 50s style diner, sophomores dressed in poodle skirts and greaser styles to sell ice cream sundaes and floats. The float was complete with a jukebox, records and old soda bottles on the walls.

Second place – Juniors – 1980s

Diving into the 80s, the junior class built a Blockbuster on wheels for this year’s homecoming. To demonstrate the time period, students dressed as characters from popular movies, including Star Wars, Top Gun and Karate Kid. The walls were also adorned with 80s movie posters.

Third place – Seniors – 1970s

The senior class constructed a light up dance floor complete with a DJ booth for their homecoming float. All night, the class had 70s disco dancers and a DJ playing groovy music. At the bottom of the float, brownies and cotton candy were being sold.

Fourth place – Freshman – 1960s

The freshman class styled their float after a 1960s themed beach, sporting a surfboard and cut out of a VW Bus. The look was completed by the beach side bonfire and makeshift birds flying above.

Daily overview of week

The 37th annual homecoming had students “Dreaming through the Decades” all week long. Participating in a variety of dress up days, students showed school spirit all while earning points for their class.

Daily princess pageants were also a feature of the week, concluding with an interview of each candidate that day before voting started. As tradition, senior king and queen candidates performed in the Royal Battle, Sept. 22.

Day One – Millennial Monday

Day Two – Toes Out Tuesday

Day Three – Wacky Wednesday

Day Four – Throw It In Thursday

For more Feather articles visit Girls’ varsity volleyball remains undefeated and Annual 9/11 Memorial honors fallen heroes, unites community.

Emma Calderon
Emma Calderon, Editor in Chief