PROMO: Kids Day 2024

Valley Children’s Healthcare welcomes back newspaper fundraiser

Valley Children’s Healthcare celebrates their 37th annual Kids Day this year on Mar 12, 2024. Starting in 1988, Valley Children’s partnered with ABC30 and the Fresno Bee to orchestrate Kids Day. Kids Day is a fundraiser that was established to help financially support the sick and injured children that belong to the Central Valley; it is one of the largest fundraising events in the area. Kids Day hosts 20 communities looking to help raise money for Valley Children’s greatest needs. Throughout the years, the charity has obtained more than 10.7 million dollars.

The Feather students flood the sidewalks of Ceder and Alluvial at 5 a.m. for Kids Day.

Each year there are child ambassadors chosen for Kids Day. This year the ambassador is 8-year old Jeremy. Through newborn screenings, Jeremy was diagnosed with a disease called Hemoglobin H Constant Spring, a type of alpha thalassemia that caused him to need blood transfusions at just 6 months old. 

Along with Jeremy, his two siblings are also diffusion dependent. The three of them sit through hours of doctor’s appointments every few weeks. Although Jeremy may face difficulties, his bold imagination and creativity help him persevere. He is one of the many examples of why participating in Kids Day is so vital. 

At Fresno Christian, Leadership and Feather students participate in Kids Day. Greg Stobbe, retired Feather advisor, started engaging in Kids Day decades ago. The Feather has been participating in the fundraiser since the 1990s and plans to continue this tradition this year. 

“We used to go visit the Fresno Bee in the late ’90s in downtown Fresno on E street,” Greg Stobbe said. “We would watch all the press and build friendships with the photographers.”   

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by The Feather (@thefeatheronline)

Throughout the years, students have stood on the corner streets of Ceder and Alluvial dancing, holding signs, and doing their best to evoke change. They will be there as early as 5 a.m. Tuesday selling newspapers to those driving by. 

Kids Day’s main goal is to help kids in need like Jeremy and many others. We would appreciate your help in supporting our community.

Ways to give your support:

• To donate over the phone call (559) 353-7100.
  • To donate Online go to Valley Children’s Website
  • To donate $1o text “GEORGE” to 20222

To donate by mail: Valley Children’s Healthcare Foundation
9300 Valley Children’s Place M/S PC17
Madera, CA 93636

To read more from The Feather read Profesora reveals a more personal side or Eagles hit off the season strong.