Golf swings into the new season

New golf team drives for success
Daniel Jessing
Freshman Knox Beery moves the flagstick out of the hole in preparation for the final strokes.

Presley Hale, ’25, takes the tee box on hole 1. Placing her tee in the soft green grass, she prepares to smash the ball as far as she possibly can. As the weather warms up from a chilling cold to a warm spring breeze, the 2024 golf season is in full swing. 

Practice has already started with coaches James Garcia and Pete Howell, along with 11 busy students. After school, the team heads over to Valley Golf Center for their practices. With over a decade of coaching experience, Coach Garcia helps with both cross country and golf.

The game of golf is won by getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible. However, it’s more challenging than it sounds. 

Junior Presley Hale enjoys her afternoon time at Dragon Fly Golf Club. (Daniel Jessing)

Last season the Fresno Christian golfers scored 3rd in their division. The team has high hopes for returning individuals and their newcomers. Junior Will Alh is excited by the anticipation of seeing his teammates’ talents and practice pay off.

“We might have some ups and downs but in the end, it’s all about having fun,” Ahl said.

Coach Garcia is confident about this season, as the team has gained many new golfers this year. He looks forward to seeing how the team will grow and improve their skills under his guidance.

“I’m excited for this season and I’m excited to see what this young team can do,” Garcia said.

Though spectators aren’t allowed to come, they are welcome to provide support through words of encouragement to the team. 

For more information, stay tuned to The Feather Instagram.   

For more photos, visit the Media page.

For more articles, read Athlete Spotlight: Izzy Adams overcomes surprising injury, and The Feather’s legacy is here to stay.