Cheer to perform at USA Spirit Nationals

The undefeated cheer super squad will compete at the United Spirit Association (USA) Spirit Nationals at the Anaheim Convention Center, March 28.

The cheerleaders will vie for the national title against about 20 different schools, according to cheer coach Katie Mendenhall.

Last year, the squad won the competition for the first time in campus history.

?At this competition, we are competing against so many good teams,? Mendenhall said. ?Our main competition is Brea Olinda High School, Central High School, Homestead High School and Leigh High School. My overall goal is for them to do two routines that are pleasing to the Lord and represent our school well.?

Many of the cheerleaders on the super squad view Central as their rival, Mendenhall said, but she feels the routines are similar.

?They do not have much more than we do, except for more difficult tumbling,” Mendenhall said. “We have a fast-paced routine that uses all of the girls all the time. We also have a very difficult partner-stunt section. We are very consistent, which is an advantage to us.?

Earlier in the season, the super squad was scheduled to compete against Central at two competitions ? USA Regionals and Clovis Pep Classic ? but Central dropped out on both occasions due to time conflicts. As a result, the squad had not seen Central’s routine until some of the cheerleaders, including sophomore Kory Thompson, watched Central perform at the Clovis West Showcase, March 21.

?I have not seen some of the schools that we are going against, but I have seen Central,” Thompson said. “We have better partner stunts and we have more fun. The only thing they have against us is they are sharper and cleaner, and they also have a guy on their team.?

The super squad will perform second in the lineup, which worries sophomore Mary Reynolds, she said.

“I am scared because we are the second squad out of 20 to perform,” Reynolds said. “Usually they score the first 10 teams lower to leave room for better teams.”

So far this year, the squad’s record stands at five for five, which members hope to continue at nationals.

?The thing I am looking forward to the most about nationals is being on the big stage with all the lights, and competing with the team,” Thompson said.

The super squad is scheduled to perform at 8 a.m. In order to continue to the March 29 competition, the cheerleaders must qualify as one of the top five teams. The final scores will be determined from 40 percent of the score on Saturday and 60 percent from the Sunday performance.

For more information on cheer, visit the cheer Web site or e-mail Katie Mendenhall. For coverage of past competitions, visit the March 9 article, Super squad wins FCC West Coast Championship or the Cheer conquers second-straight Clovis Pep Classic. For videos of teams at the USA Spirit Nationals last year, including the campus squad, visit VarsityWired.com.