The Rotten Tomatoes Show investigates movies

Often times, if I am bored or in need of an activity to do with friends, I will glance at a newspaper or Fandango to see if any good movies are out. Looking for a movie with both phenomenal acting and an interesting plot, I am frequently disappointed by the slim choices I get to choose from. This is why, when The Rotten Tomatoes Show was first introduced, I knew I had found a beacon of hope in the ongoing process of picking an amazing movie.

The Rotten Tomatoes Show, which began in 2009, is basically a TV version of the Rotten Tomatoes Web site. The site prides itself on movie critiques and takes reviews from anyone who has the urge to go to the site and rate a newly released movie, from zero percent to one hundred.

The show adds to this by taking criticisms by viewers, comedians and critics and airing them on the show the Thursday after the new movie comes out.

The show’s hosts are Ellen Fox and Brett Erlich, who guide the viewers through the stories of new movies which came out the week before. After giving a brief account of the movie, a spliced together montage of clips from people who reviewed the film is shown.

In this, viewers receive insight from everyday people which can help in the decision of which movies are worthwhile. Although waiting almost a week for a movie review may seem like a bit too long to some, six days are necessary to compile every review and give an accurate percentage of people who liked the film.

One of the things I enjoy about the show is the chemistry between the two hosts. Their relationship, which is purely platonic, is almost like that of a sitcom, wherein Fox and Erlich deliver one liners, silly taunts and jabs to each other all in the name of entertainment. These exchanges keep the show amusing when there is a brief lull or when a new movie is being introduced.

The show not only features new movies, but also hosts several segments ranging from interviewing a certain actor about their top five favorite features, to screening the best movies an actor or actress has been in.

One of my favorites of these segments is titled The Anticipatron. During this piece, Fox and Erlich show clips from newly released movie trailers and judge whether or not they think it will be a blockbuster or a flop. This is overall very informative and ultimately aids me further in my quest to find a good movie to spend my money on.

Most of the time when I am on the fence about whether or not I want to see a certain movie, I will just wait for the movie to be reviewed on the show, solving almost all of my decision-making dilemmas.

For instance, I wanted to see Shutter Island, a horror film by Martin Scorsese, but thought the story line would be stupid. So I tuned in to the show and saw it was given a very high rating and was acclaimed by many critics and viewers. I went to see it and ended up loving the movie, something which usually does not happen for me.

The Rotten Tomatoes Show is a must see for movie-lovers. What really separates it from Fandango and even Rotten Tomatoes online is its highly unique and entertaining formula. It is a show that makes me watch until the very end, even if my movie has already been reviewed and spoken for.

If viewers do choose to send in a video to The Rotten Tomatoes Show, they can do it on their website. If a review makes it on to the show, the reviewer is given $100.

You can watch The Rotten Tomatoes Show on Thursdays at 10:30 p.m. on Current TV.