BRIEF: Candy grams to profit Evangel Home

Over the past few years, FC students have been raising money during December for the Craycroft Center through the sales of candy cane grams. This year, The Feather staff is taking this approach for their own, by selling candy cane grams to raise money for the Evangel Home, a shelter for abused women and children in downtown Fresno.

In order to participate in the fundraiser, students can write a note to a friend, parent, grandparent, etc., and return the printed card to the computer lab. The Feather staff will then deliver the gram by Dec. 14. All proceeds from the sale will go directly to the Evangel Home.

Journalism Adviser Greg Stobbe explains the reason for candy gram sales this year.

“Four years ago, The Feather editors wanted to support the community and give back by fundraising for a local charity,” Stobbe said. “They chose the Evangel Home because of the lack of support the charity was receiving, and they also felt drawn to the idea of helping disadvantaged women and children.”

Freshman staff member, Nick Fontes believes fundraising through candy grams is a good way to give back.

“I am pretty excited for the opportunity to help people by giving back to the community,” Fontes said. “Being a private school, it is sort of our duty to help those who are less fortunate, and raising money through candy grams is a good way to do that.”

Staffer members will be selling candy cane grams for $1 at lunch until Dec. 13. For more information, email Stobbe, or read the Dec. 10, 2010 article, Candy cane grams support abused children.