Girls' soccer sport shorts: Minarets

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 4-5 in the West Sequoia League and 9-10-1 overall as of Feb. 6. The Eagles will next travel to Riverdale to play the Riverdale Cowboys.

EAGLES DEFEAT MUSTANGS, 1-0

The Eagles played the Minarets Mustangs for the second time this season in a challenging battle. FC welcomed the team at home, Feb. 6. The Eagles stayed strong in defense during the first half, keeping the Mustangs at bay.

Senior Jessica Healy scored her first goal of the season during the first half, putting the Eagles ahead, 1-0. The second half the Eagles kept up their tough defense, stopping the Mustangs from scoring. The Eagles defeated the Mustangs in a difficult game, 1-0.

Senior Night was also held during half time to commemorate the seniors on their dedication to the sport. Seniors Maddie Yee, Jessica Healy, Jenna Orcutt, Amy Savage and Meredith Monke were all recognized for their participation this year.

Healy attained confidence after scoring her first goal, feeling excited that she was able to score on Senior Night. Healy was excited to help out her team, hoping that what she

“It was great scoring my first goal on Senior Night,” Healy said. “I almost started crying and it made it really special that it was on the night that was going to recognize me and my fellow senior teammates. I was really happy with the overall outcome of the game.”

Head Coach Tony Martinez was thrilled of the outcome of the game. Martinez felt proud of the girls, seeing them lay it all out on the line for senior night. He is proud of the girls accomplishments, including qualifying for playoffs.

“The game was very exciting,” Martinez said. “The girls were ready to play to get a win for the seniors. Everyone gave it their all. It was great to have Jessica score during the senior game. I am proud of the way the girls didn’t get out of the game, stayed focus and it showed by the way they played. I think if we can keep the same momentum going into playoffs we will do very well.”

By winning their second game against the Mustangs, the Eagles qualified for playoffs. Dates and times are currently not available. Check back for more information.

The Eagles will next travel to Riverdale to play the Riverdale Cowboys, Feb. 8.