Campus insider: Lead by example (PODCAST)

RobLeadership1
[/media-credit] As a leader on school campuses, Dr. King’s speech can be a great example of how to lead by example.

“I have a dream” conjures up the famous speech by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. In some estimates, including my own, this speech was one of the top five speeches ever given in the US.

With the anniversary of this speech just passing, it reminds me of what a great leader Dr. King was. As a leader on school campuses, Dr. King’s speech can be a great example of how to lead by example. There are three main ideas one can glean from Dr. King’s example.

First of all Dr. King was inclusive in his speech. His dream was about bringing people together and seeing the value of each person. He didn’t want to elevate some above others, but to have people on the same level. He relates back to the original documents of the country and how equality was meant for all.

Leaders should lead with the same intent. Each person we come in contact with has value and deserves the same opportunities as others. When leaders are inclusive they reach their true potential.

Secondly, Dr. King saw the value of differences. During his speech, he wasn’t interested in being the same. He mentioned and in some sense celebrated differences culturally, geographically and racially. By doing this, Dr. King saw individuality important to the strength of the whole.

As a leader, one needs to do the same. By recognizing the gifts and talents of each person, one can see value in what each person brings. Leaders don’t lead clones but instead individuals. When someone sees a leader recognize their individuality, they are more willing to follow.

Lastly, Dr. King encouraged people to not get stuck in the status quo, but look to what the future could hold. Dr. King saw a time where things would be better. He didn’t stew over how bad things were, complain about the circumstances or speak angrily about injustices.

Instead, Dr. King inspired to look forward to a change. Leaders today need to do the same thing. Complaining about problems only brings down the people following them. Anyone can complain, but good leaders inspire. By choosing inspiration, positive change happens.

For more opinions, read the Oct. 7 article, Common Core: Journalism prepares students for life (PODCAST).