BRIEF: Cheer tryouts approach, March 29

The FC athletic department is encouraging junior high and high school girls to participate in cheerleading tryouts for the 2014-’15 season. Tryouts will be held for all grades in the FC gym at 9 a.m., March 29.

Open gym will be available in the FC gym on the following days:
? March 25: 5-6 p.m.
? March 26: 3:15-4:30 p.m.
? March 27″ 5-6 p.m.

Cheer Coach and first grade teacher, Courtney Raymundo, has great expectations for the cheer program as well for the cheerleaders participating in it.

“The purpose of Fresno Christian cheer is to create women professing godliness through athletic participation,” Raymundo said. “These girls are to be examples on and off the field of Christ-like character. Cheerleaders play an important role in raising the spirit of the school and its community.”

Raymundo is looking for a varitey of characteristics, and skills throughout the tryout process.

“Each athlete is judged on a variety of things; things we look for during the tryout process are skill level, motion technique, communication, leadership and overall presentation,” Raymundo said. “Along with that girls will have to fill an academic form to see where they stand academically. Cheer is a year long commitment and each girl is expected to be at every practice and game. Commitment is crucial.”

Freshmen Sydney Belmont is trying out for the varsity squad for the first time this year and is excited to possibly be on the team.

“I did cheer in the eighth grade, but I didn’t really like it,” Belmont said. “This year a lot of my friends are participating and I really like the coach, so thats why I’m trying out. I love stunting and cheer, so I’m very excited.”

Three-year varsity team member Kim Ward, ’15, is anxious but yet excited for the overall turnout of squad.

“I am mostly looking forward to seeing who is coming out and seeing what kind of team we are going to have for next season,” Ward said. “I’m anxious to see what the dynamic will be like after losing our seniors who have been with us for a very long time. But I’m sure Callista Fries {fellow junior} and I will try our best to be leaders on the team.”

Campus cheer is a great way for students to be a part of team, and to be active in the community by attending many school events and leading the student body in school spirit.

“This program will provide opportunities for students to participate in a team/group-oriented athletic and artistic activity that is a critical component of the Christ-like character development aspect of the school?s mission,” Raymundo said.

One of Raymundo’s favorite aspects of coaching cheer is seeing the growth of the girls, spiritually and physically.

“What I enjoy most is seeing the growth of these girls not only athletically but spiritually,” Raymundo said. “I have such a wonderful opportunity to pour into the lives of young ladies and I love that. It’s also fun to watch the girls come together as a team and learn new skills.”

For more information contact contact Courtney Raymundo via Email.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @ivettedibarra. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the March 21 article, BREAKING: Feather staff awarded second consecutive Gold Crown.