President questions love’s real meaning

One of the most fascinating stories in the Bible, recorded in the Gospels, documents Jesus’ and Peter’s broken relationship right before Jesus’ arrest, and its restoration after Jesus’ resurrection. The story begins in John 13 with Jesus telling Peter that before the cock crows in the morning Peter would deny Jesus three times.

The story continues in John 18 with Peter accused of being a friend and follower of Jesus, which was not a very promising badge to wear since Jesus was in jail being tried for blasphemy under the penalty of death. After Peter denies Christ the third time he is reminded of Jesus? prophetic words and runs away crying, realizing his actions were those of a weak, confused and faithless man.

Now this is where it gets good, John 21. Seven of the disciples go on a fishing expedition. For Peter, James and John fishing was their main vocation. This makes complete sense to me, after their preaching gig came to an end the disciples went back to their old day jobs. Obviously, God had other plans for them.

Jesus shows up, pulls off another miracle, has lunch with his buddies then he has a heart to heart with Peter. Their conversation is about love and the words Jesus and Peter uses are agape and philia. Agape is defined as unconditional love, specifically, God and Jesus?s love for humankind. Philia is defined by brotherly love, a love based on friendship, certainly including sacrificial actions and how Christians are exhorted to treat each other throughout the New Testament.

In English we use the word love in numerous ways, referring to the way we feel about people, places, things, the act of sex, occasionally we incorporate it with commitments and devotion but basically we have bastardized the word and use it for all occasions completely losing its more precise meanings.

Let’s look at Jesus’ and Peter?s heart to heart conversation after the denials. Beginning with John 21:15, “Jesus says to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John do you truly love me?'” The phrase “truly love me” is interpreted in study Bibles as unconditional love. Therefore the question can be restated, “Simon son of John do you unconditionally love me?” Simon responds ?Yes Lord you know I love you,” but the phrase ?love you? has been interpreted in study Bibles as brotherly love.

Therefore, the answer can be restated “Yes lord you know I love you as a brother.” Jesus asked this same question again in John 21:16 and Peter answered accordingly. In verse 17 Jesus changes his question and asks Peter “Do you love me like a brother?” and Peter now completely feeling like a cockroach gets mad and responds “Lord you know all things, you know I love you like a brother.” Jesus then tells Peter to care for his sheep meaning the church.

So my questions for the Fresno Christian family is: Can we unconditionally love on this side of heaven? Could Peter unconditionally love Christ? Is brotherly love sufficient on this earth?

Sorry this was so deep, it stems from my close friends’ dad divorcing my friends’ mom. He has recently remarried and our families are trying to figure out these “simple” questions. Think about it, then comment please. Regardless, may our gracious God continue to surround you and your family with his grace and mercy. Live out your faith in great joy.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more opinions, read the April 2 article, Freshman reminisces first year journalism experiences.