School program benefits youth, community

[media-credit id=178 align=”alignright” width=”300″]IMG_5483[/media-credit]

The annual Book Buddies program at FC began, Sept. 26. Organized by Linda Amparano, volunteer coordinator, Book Buddies gives kids from Pinedale Elementary and campus students a chance to connect and bond. The kids from both schools have reported that they are benefiting from the program.

The program was created by Diane Dillie. The original name for the program was “Literacy in Neighborhood Churches” (LINC), but after a request to change, it became “Book Buddies” in order to to fit in with the school.

While the program began in 1996, it was not until 2003 that Amparano reestablished the connections and Book Buddies became a recognized name in Fresno.

Linda Amparano is impressed with the results Book Buddies brings to the kids and is thankful for how it changes them for the better.

“It is difficult to measure the academic effects of this program,” said Amparano. “However, what we do get to see is a transformation of students who were once shy blossom socially. They have learned to build a trusting relationship with an adult and are willing to try and read on their own.”

Book Buddies lets the kids have a mentor they can talk to and just have fun with. Reading to their buddy takes the pressure of reading off of their shoulders. It benefits them by allowing them to become better readers.

Amparano enjoys that the kids build relationship with their buddies and create a special bond.

“They have been supported by their FCS buddy,” Amparano said. “They have built a special friendship that they will always remember.”

The children enjoy that the FC kids support them in trying to become better readers. Student Elijah F. likes to read with his buddy.

“They try and help us read,” Elijah F said, “Arthur Cleans His Room is my favorite book to read with my buddy.”

Savanna Z. cannot wait to read to her buddy by the end of the year.

“As time goes by we will be able to read to them (FCS Buddies)” Savanna Z. said, “Pete the Cat Saves Christmas is my favorite book to read with my buddy.”

The kids enjoy reading all kinds of different books with their buddy. Johnny A. enjoys reading a variety of books.

“My Book Buddy once read a rhyming book to me and it helps me to read,” Johnny A. said. “Pete the Cat and His White Shoes and a rhyming book are my favorite books to read with my buddy.”

FC students reportedly enjoy the program just as much as the Pinedale students. One example of a student enjoying her time at Pinedale is sophomore Hannah Nale.

“I have three Buddies: Juju, Julie, and Reyna,” Nale said. “I enjoy Book Buddies because I get to connect with the kids and see their cute faces every Thursday morning. I will definitely do Book Buddies next year.”

If you are interested in joining the Book Buddies program talk to Kyle Dodson. Book Buddies occurs every Thursday until early December.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @dawsontriplitt.

For more features, read the Oct. 22 article, Veterans commemorated by Central Valley Honor Flight.