BREAKING: Feather receives CSPA critique: Gold Medalist

In the next few weeks seniors will follow a different schedule than the rest of the school due to their early graduation.
[/media-credit] The Feather Online is informed by the CSPA that they will be finalists for the Gold Crown journalism award.
After returning from five-day Thanksgiving break, The Feather received the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) critique, Dec. 3. The critique awarded the staff with a Gold Medalist rating and three All-Columbian Honors.

The Feather was scored upon three different sections: essentials, verbal and visuals, with a total of 1,000 points. The essentials category was scored bases upon accessibility of the site, resources, coverage and interactivity giving 190/200 points. Verbal included the text and article flow within the publication, where The Feather received 386/400. Finally The Feather was graded upon multimedia, photography, graphics and typography, earning 400/400.

With the combination, The Feather received a total score of 976/1,000 points, placing it as a Gold Medalist. The critique is judged by an anonymous CSPA judge.

Receiving a perfect score in the visual section, the judges complimented The Feather for a strong multimedia presence.

“The visual appeal of this web site is outstanding and there is a strong multimedia presence,” the judge critiqued. “The coverage is comprehensive and creative with excellent journalistic writing style.”

The judges also offered suggestions on improving The Feather’s verbal section, including better captioning techniques.

“Because the captions are the most read copy in any media, caption mini stories are a major trend right now,” the judges wrote. “Consider adding more to your coverage.”

Feather adviser Greg Stobbe, reports feeling remarkable pride for his busy staff this year.

“I’m personally amongst the most proud of this group,” Stobbe said. “I would say they are probably the hardest working, blue-collar staff that I’ve ever had. This staff is amongst the most committed I have ever had the privilege to advise.”

Editor-in-Chief, Chloe Mueller, expresses her gratitude for her fellow staff and their dedication to The Feather.

“I was so excited when I saw that we were nominated for a Gold Crown, and I’m happy with our score as well,” Mueller said. “Our staff this year is amazing and everyone is hard-working, which is what we have to accredit this win to.”

The award is in addition to The Feather‘s earning a CSPA Gold Crown finalist nomination, Nov. 17. Last year the CSPA also named The Feather a Gold Medalist.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline.

For more news, read the Dec. 3 article, Student leadership: Christmas is here.