Homecoming from around the world: Day 3

Student leadership plans different dress up days for homecoming week as a tradition. This year’s theme “Vacation Destinations” fits perfectly with the dress up days, which lead up to Homecoming on Oct. 16.

Monday we did not have school. Tuesday is set as Tourist Tuesday, where you can travel to any destination you like. Wednesday is World Sports Wednesday, when you can support your favorite sports team. Thursday is Jet Lag Thursday, where you can stay in your pjs from last night. Friday is Spirit Day, but a little different this year. Each class supports a different color; Seniors are black, juniors are white, sophomores are maroon, and freshman are silver or grey.

For more about Homecoming from Around the World, read Wednesday’s article.

Participants peruse in PJ’s for Jet Lag Thursday

by Macy Mascarenas

20151015-fc-jet-lag-thursday-001
[/media-credit] Jet Lag Thursday, or ‘PJ day’, was a fan favorite with countless students decked out in onesies and slippers.
The third dress up day kicked off with Jet-Lag Thursday. The student body arrived in their comfiest sleepwear; some in basic pajama pants, and others decided to go all out in onesies. The competition for points has heated up as classes rally their peers to dress up for points.

Jet Lag Thursday was the most participated dress up day out of the three current dress up days; this is the only day out of the school year in which students are granted leeway to wear pajamas to school.

One student who tends to dress up for this event every year is Trevor Trevino, ’17, to display his school spirit.

“I am so excited for tomorrow’s game. We have a great chance of winning. My favorite thing about homecoming is the game,” Trevino said. “I love the dress up days and king/queen dances as well, but the game is like the grand finale of it all. It pulls everything together and makes it fun.”

Megan Raynes, ’19, has dressed up this week in order to acquire more homecoming points for her class, and is also very eager for tomorrow’s game.

“I am excited for tomorrow’s game, because I think it will be fun to see the floats and all my friends. My favorite dress up day was today because everybody seemed more relaxed, plus it’s cozy to be in pajamas,” Raynes said. “What I love the most about homecoming is the dress up days, because I think it’s fun to see people dress up in crazy costumes. I’m really looking forward to watching the game and seeing the floats.”

I am so excited for tomorrow’s game. We have a great chance of winning. My favorite thing about homecoming is the game. I love the dress up days and king/queen dances as well, but the game is like the grand finale of it all. It pulls everything together and makes it fun. — Trevor Trevino, ’17

Another student who prides herself in school spirit, Maicy Luginbill, ’18, enjoys dressing up for homecoming, watching the game and seeing all the class floats.

“I’ve dressed up every year for homecoming. I love seeing people dress up through the week, and I’m really excited to see the kings, queens, and princesses dressed up on Friday,” Luginbill said. “I’m also really pumped to see all of the classes float, and watch the football game.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/228547092″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

20151015-fc-jet-lag-thursday-005
[/media-credit] Juniors took the lead today, meting the majority of the points. However, Seniors remain in first place from the cumulation of the week.
Once points were tallied at the end of the day, the juniors class grabbed the win, breaking the Seniors’ streak. Seniors came in second, sophomores in third and freshmen in fourth. However, Seniors are still in the lead, overall.

Tomorrow is ‘Spirit Day,’ which will wrap up the dress up days for homecoming week. Freshmen wear grey, sophomores wear maroon, juniors wear white and seniors wear black in honor of school colors. Make sure to show up in your class’s assigned color.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @macyyvictoria and via email: Macy Mascarenas.

For the 2014 pajama day click here.

Justus Briggs contributed to this article.