FC homecoming 2015: Junior float (Podcast)

[/media-credit] Juniors present their float in the 30 annual homecoming, A walk down Hollywood boulevard, Oct. 31.

Homecoming has been a nationwide tradition for numerous years. One of the many things included in homecoming are the floats. Each high school grade builds a float in an attempt to impress a set of judges and hopefully take first place.

The class of 2017 hopes to take first place this year after coming so close in previous years. Nick LeBlanc, ‘17, has high hopes for this year and is determined to win.

“I think our class has good school spirit,” says LeBlanc. “We are very energetic and have a lot of passion and I think we have a very good chance of winning this year.”

According to former FC Principal Gary Schultz, homecoming began with the class of 1985. However, FC did not have a football program at the time so homecoming took place during the soccer season.

Schultz enjoys seeing the homecoming floats throughout the years and is proud of the teamwork that happens when building a float.

It’s fun, it brings the classes together and it builds school spirit,” Schultz said. “It’s the coming together of so many students, and former students to celebrate their common support of their school.”

For some students such as Roy Brown, ‘17, performing on the float is a great way to branch out and express himself.

“I think performing on the float is an awesome experience,” Brown said. “When I’m up there I become so happy, because I get the chance to be a character from anywhere in the world.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/228466279″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Having a Hawaiian theme has really excited the junior class. Many juniors are eager to see their final product on homecoming night. Natalia Torres, ‘17, worked hard on the float and waits to see its final production.

I am looking forward to see the final product of our float,” Torres said. “Seeing everyone on the float which will definitely bring it all together. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to finish this thing so finally seeing it will be great.”

However, Homecoming floats do not just appear on Friday night. Students put in many hours and hard work to make the masterpieces. Each float has its own special detail which takes a great amount of effort to create. Junior, Brooklyn Ainley clearly sees a possible difficulty with the Junior float.

“I think the hardest part of the Junior float will be finishing up the volcano,” Ainley said. “It is a large decoration and I hope that it doesn’t break. I’m looking forward to see how it’s going to turn out though.”

Homecoming is a wonderful time for classmates to bond. The task of building a float is not one that can be done alone and requires a great amount of teamwork. That is something the Junior class has realized and improved upon over the years.

Homecoming is Friday Oct. 16. Make sure you attend the football game, check out the floats, watch the halftime show where the princess, queen, and king candidates will be announced.

For other homecoming related information click here.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]