Color guard anticipates winter season

20151108-fc-color-guard-practice-010
[/media-credit] Color guard was a new addition to FC in 2007. It is a competition based parade of waving flags and other objects.

Color guard was a new addition to FC in 2007. In the few years that the program has been running it has been quite successful and has entertained many people. It is a competition based parade of waving flags and other objects.

The color guard team has performed at many school events including rallies, football games and parades over the years. The team performed at the school rally, Oct. 16 and at halftime during the homecoming football game. Color guard advisor Alicia Gonzalez chose the song Happy by Pharrell Williams and the team entertained the crowds with a dance.

“The guard had worked really hard at making sure that the routine looked good for their school and they all seemed well prepared for it,” Gonzalez said.

The team has had many members that have helped build the program. Junior Katie Jacobson has been doing color guard for four years. To her, the team is a great way to build relationships with high school and junior high students. Jacobson also says that it is a great way to work on teamwork due to the routine coordination.

Jacobson loves performing and entertaining people with her talents in color guard. She enjoys the team year round but has one favorite time, winter guard.

“My favorite part about color guard is the winter season, winter guard,” Jacobson said. “That’s when we get to learn routines for our big shows and we have the opportunity to learn a lot more and move on to harder tricks and tosses.”

20151108-fc-color-guard-practice-006
[/media-credit] Eighth grader Brittany McCann is a new addition to the color guard squad. She enjoys color guard and loves to do it but almost did not join due to apprehensiveness.

Eighth grader Brittany McCann is a new addition to the color guard squad. She enjoys color guard and loves to do it but almost did not join due to apprehensiveness.

“Color Guard has been a great experience for me,” McCann said. “I have definitely enjoyed it, even though at first I didn’t want to do it. It has been pretty awesome since then. I changed my opinion on it when I met a lot of my friends and I figured out that I really enjoyed it and have fun doing it as well.”

Color Guard will be marching in the Veteran’s Day Parade alongside jazz band and percussion Nov. 11 and it begins at 11 a.m.

In the future, the color guard team will also be performing at the , Clovis Lights Parade,Dec. 5 and the San Joaquin Valley Color Guard and Percussion Review, Jan. 30. Be sure to attend these events to see and support the FC Color guard team in action.

The team is excited for their upcoming performances and their hopes are that they do well and perform to the best of their ability. Shauna Howard, ’20, enjoys getting ready for these events and waits to see her team in action.

“I’m looking forward to when the team, as a whole, can do a number of trick tosses and dances for the shows, Howard said. “Once we start learning the work for a performance, we are able to work together as a well-oiled machine.”

For more information on the color guard team click here.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]