Fall Trends – Style Session No. 5

Style Session No. 5 – Fall Trends

The fashion industry definitely marches to the beat of its own drum. Take its fashion week cycles, for example. Spring/Summer collections are presented in September/October of the previous year (the Spring 2016 shows just ended in Paris a couple of weeks ago) and Autumn/Winter collections are presented in February/March. This is also why you’ll see bathing suits for sale in stores in January and winter coats in August.
    This year’s fall trends come straight from the runway shows from last winter. Designers have a tough job of predicting trends and the fun job of setting trends based on their own inspirations. My take on trends is to not be a slave to fashion but to work the ones you like into your existing wardrobe.

Here are a few fresh fall trends to keep an eye on in the coming months:

Chanel stacked kitten heels
    Chanel stacked kitten heels

Stacked Kitten Heels
    I’m a big fan of stilettos, but my feet are so grateful for stacked kitten heels this fall. At first glance, they may seem like granny shoes, but they are chic and versatile. Pair them with a pencil skirt, a fit-and-flare dress, or a pantsuit. They’ll even dress up a nice pair of jeans. Who said fashion can’t be stylish AND comfortable?

Carwash Pleats

Christian Dior car wash skirt
    Christian Dior car wash skirt

This is a fun take on the swingy skirt. You’ll definitely make a statement in this trend – just make sure the cuts aren’t too high. Back in the 90s I had a long black carwash skirt that I now wish I’d kept. In fashion, everything old becomes new again at some point!

Mary Katrantzou flounce hem dress
    Mary Katrantzou flounce hem dress

Flounce Hem

The flounce hem is a really fun, feminine way to stand out in a skirt or dress. It just adds a little punch to your outfit and will definitely put a swing in your step. This might seem like a tricky look to pull off, but to keep your proportions right, just remember to keep your top slim since the flounce adds volume.

Isabel Marant high waist pants
    Isabel Marant high waist pants

High Waist Pants

If you’re on the petite side, like me, high waist pants are a great way to elongate your legs. Buh-bye low rise (and dangerously inappropriate) pants! This style of pants looks fantastic with a tucked in top and blazer and can be worn casual or dressed up. Pick a wild print and have fun with it!

Alexander Wang plaid coat
    [/media-credit] Alexander Wang plaid coat

Plaid

When I was in college in the early 90s Nirvana exploded onto the scene with Smells Like Teen Spirit. It was a game changer, both for music and for fashion, as grunge took over and left the 80s in the dust. Grunge has made a comeback in recent seasons, and plaid – especially red – is a big trend this fall. Try it in a jacket or vest.

Tights

Rebecca Minkoff tights
    [/media-credit] Rebecca Minkoff tights

I’ll be the first to admit that not all fashions work for every body type. But this trend is for every woman! Tights are always fun (and practical when the weather cools down). Just this past weekend I spiced up an otherwise simple black outfit with a pair of fishnet tights. Another bonus – this is one of the most affordable trends ever, so stock up!

J. Crew flared pants
    [/media-credit] J. Crew flared pants

Flares

I keep hearing that the skinny jean is on its way out, and this trend supports that rumor. Flares were big (literally) in the 70s, but they’re back with a modern twist. Flares can be a lot of fun and can be worn with any type of top, really. Just be sure not to go too big, or I’ll have to send you back to the disco decade.

Statement Earrings

Rosie Assoulin statement earrings
    [/media-credit] Rosie Assoulin statement earrings

This trend will look amazing on everyone – regardless of your size, height, face shape or hair. Statement earrings are assertive and you need some confidence to wear them because they will draw attention to your face. Accessorize this trend with a big smile and keep the rest of your jewelry to a bare minimum.

Guys, I haven’t forgotten about you! Here are some trends from the menswear collections to keep you looking crisp this fall.

Burgundy

Lanvin look in burgundy
    [/media-credit] Lanvin look in burgundy

Don’t be afraid of color! If you want to dip your toe in the fashion waters, try picking up something in burgundy this fall. It’s a rich neutral that goes with black, brown and gray. If burgundy pants or a jacket seem like too much, try it in a dress shirt, gloves or a scarf.

Baggy Trousers

Bottega Veneta baggy trousers
    [/media-credit] Bottega Veneta baggy trousers

I love this trend for guys because it’s the perfect medium between skinny jeans (is that over yet?) and saggy pants. For the love, don’t mistake baggy for saggy! Just get your comfort on with an easier fit.

Dior Homme coat
    [/media-credit] Dior Homme coat

Three-Quarter Length Coat

This is a really classy look that any man of any height can pull off. The coat should reach just to the knee, and you can pick any fabric or pattern that you prefer. Hopefully it’ll be cold enough this winter in Fresno to wear it!

~ Silva

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email me at [email protected]. You can read more from me at www.onmyshoebox.blogspot.com.

To read more from Style Session, check out Style Session, No. 4.