Football sport short: East Palo Alto Phoenix Academy (Podcast)

[/media-credit] The Eagles faced East Palo Alto Phoenix Academy, Oct. 30.

The Eagles arrived in East Palo Alto after a four hour bus ride without an AC unit, facing off against East Palo Alto Phoenix Academy, Oct. 30. FC started the game with the ball, however the opposing team was no match for the Eagles as they drove down the field, earning their first touchdown with a run by senior running back Chris Kollenkark. The game went by fast due to the high scoring offense and with a running clock starting in the second quarter.

The offense played smart and executed the plays that were called. The Eagles favored the run more than the pass only throwing the ball six times. They rushed for 253 yards and seven touchdowns, Kollenkark led the team with 104 yards and two touchdowns. Other players that stood in rushing, was junior Slater Wade with 50 yards and a touchdown, junior Nick LeBlanc with 41 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore Tyler Villines had 39 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and junior Timothy Melendez had a touchdown. When the Eagles did throw it was almost a guaranteed completion, only dropping two. The team scored twice receiving, one caught by senior Tyler Breedlove for 25 yards and Kollenkark for 50 yards.

Defense continues to play every game with dominance, the team held EPA to only six points. They only allowed two firsts downs in the entire game. The defense was led by junior Daniel Ayres with seven tackles, three sacks, and an interception. Also junior Tyler Vanderlinden had an interception and took it 32 yards for a touchdown.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/231543057″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Injured defensive tackle Matthew Tanaka watched the game closely and was proud of the way the defense played.

“I thought the defense played well, ” Tanaka said. “They stepped up when they needed and prevented them to score only once. I feel like the subs needs to come in with the same intensity to keep the team energized. I am excited to play next week, being hurt and missing 4 games I am ready to dominate”

Offensive coordinator Mike Zamarripa thought the offense played well and was glad that the younger kids got play and get experience.

“Offense played really well last week, ” Zamarripa said. “We scored the most points we have ever scored and the younger guys got to play. This weeks plan is to play all the seniors at the the beginning of the game due to senior night. We are hoping to have a little more balance this week with pass and run.”

The Eagles will next play at home on senior night against the Alpaugh Buffaloes, Nov. 6.

For more football articles, check out the Faith Christian football sport short.