Basketball team reflects on tournament, looks forward to upcoming season

Dynamic duo
[/media-credit] Despite sustaining injuries, the Eagles managed to pull together and maintain their rhythm.

Team learns valuable lessons from tournament

The fast pace, non stop sensation is finally back. With months of preparation, the boys varsity basketball team finally had a chance to compete and show what they have been working on. Over the last couple of days, the Eagles competed in the Madera South tournament. The Eagles were the only Division 5 team present, so all of the teams they faced were in higher divisions. They faced McLane, Madera High and Chowchilla.

Their first match up was against the McLane Highlanders. The Eagles got off to a slow start, but managed to bring the game within six points. The Highlanders had a big run to start off the third quarter which helped build a lead that the Eagles could not overcome. Injuries are a part of sports and the Eagles were a victim to this unfortunate bug. Going for a loose ball, Damien Boyce, ’17, got his arm jammed between two players and dislocated his shoulder. Boyce was still able play, however he was limited. The final score was, 73-48. Daniel Walker, ’17, led the Eagles with 17 points.

After a slow start to the tournament, Trevor Trevino, ’17, felt that the Eagles progressed well.  He says he expects fast breaks, running and shooting from the Eagles this season.

“We did not do so well in the first game,” Trevino said. “As the games went on, we progressed very well. As a team I think that we got better each day. We have a lot of juniors so it will be fun to see how things work out. I expect to see lots of fast breaks, running and shooting.

The tournament was tough. The teams were good and we struggled to keep up with them. I think this season will be fun. We should do well and have a lot of success. I expect us to pressure our opponents and capitalize off of their turnovers. — Damien Boyce

For their second game, the Eagles took on the Madera Coyotes. Once again, the Eagles started off slow. They fell behind early and could not catch up. The final score to the game was, 70-43. The Eagles now had a record of 0-2.

Although the tournament was tough, Damien Boyce, ’17, thinks that this upcoming season will be a good one. The Eagles expect to pressure and outrun their opponents.

“The tournament was tough,” Boyce said. “The teams were good and we struggled to keep up with them. I think this season will be fun. We should do well and have a lot of success. I expect us to pressure our opponents and capitalize off of their turnovers.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/237149966″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

FC faced the Chowchilla Redskins for their third game, still hoping to claim their first victory of the tournament. The Eagles finally had a good start to the game, and lead at halftime, 32-23. The Eagles had a sloppy third quarter and the Redskins caught up. The game was close heading into the 4 quarter. Halfway through the quarter, Chowchilla finally took the lead and they never looked back. They managed to come back and beat the Eagles, 63-59. The Eagles were now 3-0 with one more game left in the tournament.

Basketball
[/media-credit] Another basketball season is underway with the start of the Madera South Tournament. Eagles were not as successful as they had first hoped but learned valuable lessons.

The last game finally came and the Eagles were still looking for their first win. They played the Corcoran Panthers. Once again the Eagles got off to a fast start and took an early lead. The Eagles once held a 21 point lead in the third quarter, however, multiple three pointers from Corcoran’s, Roy Salinas cut the deficit down to 12. The panthers slowly chipped away at the Eagles’ lead. With two minutes left, the Eagles only held a six point lead.

With a little over a minute left, Phillip Christopher made a clutch layup. He was also fouled on the play and had a chance for a three point play. Christopher hit the free throw and the lead was safe. The Eagles took the game, 56-50.

The tournament may not have gone the Eagles’ way, but they did learn new things about the team. With expectations of fast breaks, running and pressure, the Eagles are looking forward to what should be a good season. Their next game is at home against Wonderful College Prep Academy, Dec. 10.

For another basketball article, read: Eagles basketball prepares for Madera South tournament.

This author can be reached via Twitter @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.