Boys Soccer Sport Short: Central Valley Christian

[/media-credit] Senior Caleb Goodale dribbles the ball on a breakaway attack set up by the Eagles in hopes to score.

Boys soccer faced Central Valley Christian in a non-league preseason game.The Eagles were 1-1 in preseason games up to this point.

The game against CVC was the first home game for the Eagles and they looked to get a win at this first opportunity. The game started off fast paced with both teams on the attack early.

With a breakdown in the Eagle defense, CVC was able to score their first goal of the game. This early goal made the boys work extra hard after their last game loss. Within minutes of CVC’s goal, Caleb Goodale scored the Eagles first goal, tying the game 1-1.

The game stayed very close in the first half however, towards the end of the half, the boys let in another goal making the score 1-2. The Eagles, determined to win, knew that they had to change their pace and their game plan if they wanted to get back into this game.

With the start of the second half, the boys knew they had the game close and that a comeback was very possible. But CVC did not back off and soon after the start of the second half they scored yet another goal making the score 1-3.

Now the Eagles knew they were struggling and started to feel defeated. Time was almost over and they were down by two goals so the comeback was not as possible anymore. With the end of the game within minutes of closing, another goal was given up and CVC won the game 1-4.

Coach Matthew Markarian knew the Eagles had many chances during the game and recognizes that the team needs to capitalize on those chances.

“We created a lot of scoring chances, we have to be better converting scoring chances into goals but I know our scoring abilities will improve as the season goes on.”

Freshman Alex Rurik was not happy with the outcome of the game and reflects on team’s weaknesses.

“I felt horrible because we should have won that game and they were not that much better of a team. But miscommunication and lack of finishing caused us many problems but they can be fixed by lots of practice and chemistry building.”

The Eagles soccer team is now 1-2 in preseason games. They look to start a winning streak with a game against Tranquility High School Dec.14

For more FC soccer sport shorts check out Boys Soccer Sport Short: Orange Cove.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]