Senior brings enthusiasm, stealth to the soccer field

20151218-fc-joshcarter-001
[/media-credit] Senior Joshua Carter has been committed to the soccer team from his freshman year.

Josh Carter leads boys soccer throughout high school

Although many attempt to achieve success through the medium of sports, only a few true athletes are able to break through into excellence. Senior Joshua Carter is a player who possesses such natural talents, and applies them wholeheartedly them to his sport of choice: soccer. His abilities coupled with his fiery intensity single him out as a team leader. Committed to the soccer field, Carter has played at every opportunity from freshman to senior year, honing his abilities and making him into an effective player in whatever situation he finds himself.

Carter understands the important role that he fills for the soccer team. His diverse range of talents allow him to complement the team in a variety of positions.

“I believe I add a strong presence on the field in almost every position I play.” Carter said. “I add experience of the past four years of high school soccer. Along with adding skill on the field, I believe I add a positive influence on players by showing them how to deal with certain difficult situations.”

Soccer coach Matt Markarian values Carter’s mental attitude as well as his skill on the field. He notices leadership qualities in Carter’s persona, helping each player to excel further themselves.

“He (Carter) is a leader with his effort” Markarian said. “Carter plays every game like it is his last game, and that is contagious to the whole team. His positive attitude and never say die mentality are what makes Josh invaluable to our team.”

Often in team sports such as soccer, strong bonds of friendship form between the team mates. As an experienced player, Carter appreciates this aspect of soccer and enjoys the tight knit community that it can create.

“I have been playing soccer since I was in kindergarten.” Carter said. “What I love most about this sport throughout all the years is the team bonding and the sport itself. Scoring makes you feel ecstatic, and dribbling past players gives one a sense of happiness. It is the one sport in which I love to play.”

My favorite soccer memory I have ever had was when I played for Maple Creek in Elementary. As a team we were the best in the Fresno County school system. We ended up taking second in valley, however I still made a lasting bond with every player on the team. One of my favorite things about the sport is the bond between the players. By the end of the year the team has grown and bonded with each other, which is such a great experience. — Josh Carter

Coach Markarian reveals the high status that Carter might soon achieve. Even in the tough soccer league that the team plays in, he believes Carter outshines almost every other player.

“I expect that Carter will continue to lead the team,” Markarian said, “not only as one of our best players, but with his hardnosed play. I also expect that if he stays healthy he will be recognized as one of the best players in our league.”

Carter has already made an impact this season, scoring goals in multiple games to contribute to the team’s efforts. He recalls the game that he scored his first goal of the season.

“For this year, as the preseason is still ongoing, my favorite memory would be the game against Sierra.” Carter said. “It was the first game of the year, and I scored with a great header on a free kick. Overall it was a good day.”

Team member Julian Castro has reaped the benefits of Carter’s hardworking nature on the field. He appreciates the way Carter helps the rest of the team through teamwork as well as through his individual prowess.

“Carter is a leader on the field.” Castro said. “We all know what to do because Carter is setting an example and vocally helping us while on the pitch. Also, his personal performance is also a big component of our offense. He has the ability to be a total team player and has the skill to be a one man show.”

Through his extensive history of soccer highlights, Carter points to one example many years ago for his all-time favorite memory of the sport. Even from Elementary school, he has flourished in the arena of soccer.

“My favorite soccer memory I have ever had was when I played for Maple Creek in Elementary.” Carter said. “As a team we were the best in the Fresno County school system. We ended up taking second in valley, however I still made a lasting bond with every player on the team. One of my favorite things about the sport is the bond between the players. By the end of the year the team has grown and bonded with each other, which is such a great experience.”

As a team leader, Carter expects to meet a few personal goals throughout the season. He also anticipates continuing accomplishments from the entire team.

20151218-fc-joshcarter-002
[/media-credit] On the field, Carter works as a vocal leader, stirring up enthusiasm in his teammates.

“For myself I would say that I want to keep improving my ball handling skills and bettering my shot.” Carter said. “However, these are only done through practice and more practice. For the team, I hope that they give it 100% in every game and that no matter the score they play to the best of their ability. I am hopeful for the future as we have a good team this year, and with hard work, our chances of making it deep into the playoffs are high.”

Currently the soccer team record is 3-4, although they are still within their preseason. Follow Josh Carter and the rest of the team as they attempt to achieve their goals throughout the year.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @Andrew_Mooooore and via email: Andrew Moore.