Recounting the fall semester highlights, achievements

Celebrating the events that marked the primary semester, 2015-’16

FC seniors enjoyed their weekend retreat at Calvin Crest.
[/media-credit] The Feather highlights the crucial moments in the fall semester of the 2015-’16 school year.

As the fall semester of the 2015-’16 school year comes to a conclusion, The Feather would like to remember and highlight the events that shaped the campus. From alterations to traditions, several new teachers and a revamped bell schedule, FC did not shy from making changes.

Feather staffers have worked to capture the essence of FC and community events throughout the semester. The Feather has utilized slideshows, articles, videos and podcasts to share a glimpse of campus life with readers.

The semester has been broken into categories, which will appear as follows: campus events, athletics, community and extracurriculars.

CAMPUS EVENTS

As is tradition, the school year commenced with an opening morning convocation, Aug. 17.  Superintendent Jeremy Brown and various speakers welcomed the students and kicked off the new school year. Superintendent Brown declared that he yearns for the school to be inspired by the Caleb Code: seek truth, speak life, and to serve others.

To promote bonding amongst the senior class, seniors made their way to Calvin Crest  for the annual senior retreat, Sept. 12-13. There, the class was divided into groups in which they had to engage in trust activities, games and perform skits. To end the day, students went on a night walk where they were led in devotion.

To change up tradition, Sadies took place in the fall semester. On the morning of Sept. 26, students lined up to board busses headed to Great America. The theme for the event was ‘Sadies somewhere in time,’ which encouraged couples to don wardrobes from another era.

To further deviate from pervious years, the annual girls Powderpuff game took place in the first semester, as well. In a surprising turn of events, the sophomore class nabbed the victory, earning the winning trophy, Nov. 20.

20151016-homecoming-halftime-006
[/media-credit] Seniors Alexis Kalugin and Kevin Garcha are named homecoming King and Queen.

The 31st annual homecoming game took place on the night of Oct. 16. The theme for the week was Homecoming from around the world, which celebrated dazzling destinations around the globe. Each class went to work crafting a float that would excite the audience and follow the theme.

To build up excitement for homecoming students participated in dress up days to earn points for their class. The dress up days, chosen by student leadership included: Merica Monday, Tacky Tourist Tuesday, Wake up Wednesday, Think Alike Thursday and Fly Together Friday. The homecoming court participate in numerous pageant and campus activities.

Throughout the week of homecoming, students participated in a series of dress up days and activities to earn points for their class. The dress up days took place as follows: Tacky Tourist Tuesday, World Sports Wednesday, Jet Lag Thursday and Spirit Day.

This year, homecoming deviated from tradition. Rather than hosting daily pageants during chapel, the princesses participated in lunchtime activities. In a grand finale, the king and queen nominees battled in the Royal Battle, a lip-sync dance off.

At half time the court was announced as follows:

Freshman Princess: Julia Fikse
Sophomore Princess: Mariana Fikse
Junior Princess: Jenny King
Senior Princess: Nicole Hudecek

Prince: Tyler Breedlove
King: Kevin Garcha
Queen: Alexis Kalugin

ATHLETICS

This year The Eagles up kept the tradition of inviting multi-school students to play amongst campus students on sports teams. Playing another year as an 8-man football team, The Eagles placed 4-0 in the Central Sierra League and 9-2 overall. Girls volleyball ended the season 1-7 in the West Sequoia League, and 5-19 overall.

The FC Eagles cheer team hosted the annual cheer clinic on the FC North Field, Sept. 25th to Oct. 1st. Students in grades K-6 were invited to practice in order to learn new cheers and improve skills to be preformed at half time of the home game, Oct. 2.

20151019-FC-Football-003
[/media-credit] The FC football team continued playing with an 8-man team.

Both varsity soccer teams traveled to the Garces Holiday Soccer Tournament in Bakersfield, Dec. 19-20. The boys team placed second in the Bronze Division. The girls varsity team also attended the Garces tournament, and placed sixth in the Silver B Division.

The varsity boys basketball team is currently 3-7 in preseason play.

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT

To promote prayer, the student body congregated in the quad for See You at the Pole, Sept. 23. When students arrived at 7 a.m., they were lead in a time of worship. Students then prayed over their school, friends, family and nation.

To reach a helping hand to neighboring citizens, FC enrolled in Pinedale Elementary’s Book Buddies Program. The student body also collected canned and boxed foods for the Yes We Can! Food drive, which were delivered to Pinedale Elementary as well.

As a school, FC also participated in Operation Christmas Child. Throughout the holiday season, students K-12 donated boxes with toys to send to children in various developing countries.

To wrap up the semester, the annual Christmas movie lunch took place, Dec. 15. A Christmas Story played for the students in the SMC. All campus members were encouraged to bring a new stuffed animal (to be donated to Central Valley Children’s Hospital), and in return they were given a free Panda Express lunch.

EXTRACURRICULAR

Under the direction of Susan Ainley, the high school drama department performed Gift of the Magi as their annual Christmas play. The class has also begun rehearsing their upcoming spring musical, The Music Man.

20151119-fc-drama-001
[/media-credit] The drama department, lead by Kyle Dodson, ended the semester with ‘A Night of One Acts.’

For the new school year, English teacher, Kyle Dodson, took over the drama department. High school drama put on a series of one-act plays, separated by performances by the improv team. Students performed one-act plays, Seflie and Dystopia.

For the second consecutive year, Susan Ainley lead the high school choir department. Girls ensemble, now recognized as Belleza, is preparing for their New York trip, where they were invited to sing in Carnegie Hall.

VISUAL ARTS

As a project, many art students entered their pieces into competitions at the Fresno Fair. Art and home economics teacher, Sharon Scharf, had her students bake cookies to send to FC alumni stationed overseas.

Junior Sydney Belmont painted a watercolor piece which was selected for Allard’s Art Competition. Her piece also won second place at the Big Fresno Fair.

CLUBS

Academic advisor, Michelle Warkentin, has once again taken charge of the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) club on campus. The group participates in several community service activities each year, and has already traveled to Carington Pointe, a retirement home, where they sang Christmas carols to residents.

Terry Richards and Hallie Rojeski have continued to lead mentoring programs, Brother to Brother and Sister Sister. Upperclassmen are selected to be paired with a younger ‘brother’ or ‘sister’ to mentor for the school year. Older students are given monthly training, and are granted one lunch period per month to meet with their junior-high companion and dine off campus.

PUBLICATIONS

20150809-feathertraining-001
[/media-credit] For the 6th year in a row, the Feather has received the All-American distinction from the National Scholastic Press Association.

For the 6th year in a row, the Feather has received the All-American distinction from the National Scholastic Press Association. Combining the points earned from the five essential sections and the two additional sections, The Feather Online received 3,645 out of 4,300 points possible.

The staff is continuing to work to expand their reach beyond campus events, but also to community affairs. Their efforts have included trips to town hall and other schools with online publications.

With the new website layout and structure, the Feather is working to revitalize their appearance and efforts. Staffers have covered a wide range of community events, from the Pelco 9/11 Memorial to the San Joaquin Town Hall Lecture Series.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_chloemueller and via email: Chloe Mueller.

For more features, read Featured Student: Joshua Savage pursues passion for art.