World of Sports: Stage set for the CFP finals

world-of-sports-alabama
[/media-credit] Alabama won their last championship under Nick Saban on Jan. 7, 2013.

The stage is set for the CFP finals in Glendale, Arizona, Jan. 11. The contest will feature the No. 1 team in the country, the Clemson Tigers, and the Crimson Tide of Alabama. Although Clemson is ranked higher than Alabama and is the only team in the country with an undefeated record, the Crimson Tide are projected to win by a touchdown.

This will not be the first game that the Tigers will be playing in that they are not favored to win. In the semifinal game against the Oklahoma Sooners they were four and a half point underdogs. Whoever predicted that could not have been more off.

The Tigers came out slow in the first half and were down 17-16 at halftime. In the second half, spectators saw the Clemson team that they were used too watching; as the Tigers out scored the Sooners, 21-0. The final score of the game was 37-17. The Tigers were lead by Heisman finalist and quarterback, Deshaun Watson who beat the Sooners defense with passing and running. Watson passed for 187 yards, one touchdown, and one interception and ran for 147 yards and one touchdown. After the Tigers impressive win over Oklahoma, their confidence will be even higher than what it usually is and will be ready to play against the stout Crimson Tide.

The Crimson Tide are going to win this one by two touchdowns. I think that Watson will be able to keep his Tigers in the game until about the middle of the third quarter; after that the Tide will begin to roll. –Phillip Christopher

Alabama did not disappoint in their playoff game either. A few weeks back in another World of Sports, I predicted that Alabama was going to beat Michigan State by atleast 10 points. Well the Crimson Tide definitely exceeded my expectations shutting out the Spartan offense in the 38-0 blowout victory. Jake Coker led the Tide’s offense with 286 yards passing and two touchdowns. Coker completed 25 of his 30 passes. Complementing the passing game, Heisman winner, Derrick Henry, rushed for 75 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Alabama defense was also very impressive forcing Connor Cook to throw two interceptions and allowing only 29 rushing yards. This game was a huge confidence boost for the Tide and like the Clemson Tigers, they will be heading into the championship game ready to bring home the trophy.

If you asked me before the Clemson-Oklahoma game, who would win in a game with Alabama and Clemson, I would have said Alabama without a doubt. After seeing the Tigers play in the semifinals, I have changed my view of their team. The Tigers seemed confident and pumped up during the Oklahoma game. They completely ignored the fact that they were underdogs and came out with the win. Now they are faced with the same situation except with a more talented team. The Tide are in the CFP for the second year in a row and want the trophy. This would also be Saban’s fifth national championship, making him and Bear Bryant the only coaches to win atleast five championships.

world-of-sports-clemson-tigers
[/media-credit] Clemson is hoping to win the second national championship in school history.

Both teams have electrifying offenses and can put up points. The deciding factor is this game will be who can get the rushing game established. Alabama has Henry to help them with that and Clemson has Watson and Wayne Gallman. Gallman rushed for 150 yards and had 2 touchdowns against Oklahoma. If Clemson can get him to be successful against the impressive Alabama defense then I think that they have a chance.

So the key to the game is Gallman. If he has a good game Clemson wins, if not then Alabama will be hoisting the trophy up at the end of the game. I am definitely not going to under estimate Clemson again but I still think that Alabama will win. Coker, Henry, and a terrific defense all led by Saban is too much to overcome. The Crimson Tide are going to win this one by two touchdowns. I think that Watson will be able to keep his Tigers in the game until about the middle of the third quarter; after that the Tide will begin to roll.

To read more World of Sports, check out World of Sports: Quest for perfection continues

Stats were provided by ESPN.

This writer can be reached via twitter: @Phillip11499 and via email: Phillip Christopher