Ensemble loss alters Gillian Rea’s musical direction

gillianr-bio
[/media-credit] Gillian Rea joined FC in 7th grade prior to being homeschooled and one of the first groups she joined on campus was Susan Ainley’s JH Ladies Ensemble.

Bellezza to perform in Carnegie Hall

Very rarely are groups from FC invited to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York; however, Bellezza (ladies ensemble) has received this prestigious invitation. Last year, the ladies competed in the Anaheim Heritage Festival and came out victorious. This win also meant the opportunity to travel to New York City to sing at one of its oldest auditoriums.

This triumph did not come without its trials. Over the past four years, the class has endured its fair share of changes, including the loss of Michael Ogdon, their teacher of five years.

One senior who has been through all the alterations over the last four years is Gillian Rea. She joined FC in 7th grade prior to being homeschooled. One of the first groups she joined on campus was Susan Ainley’s junior high ladies ensemble.

“I joined Susan Ainley’s ensemble in 7th grade when I came to FC because music was the one part of me in junior high that wasn’t that awkward,” Rea said. “After attending one of Michael Ogdon’s choir concerts and watching him direct this super talented ensemble of singers, I was determined to join the high school group.”

She was the only freshman when she first joined the group in 2012 but enjoyed the amount of mentors she gained from all the seniors in the class.

“My first year in the group, I was the only freshman, and I absolutely loved it,” Rea said. “Being the youngest and looking up to so many seniors was amazing because I was always striving to better myself to reach their level.”

EnsemblePhoto1
[/media-credit] Not only has Gillian Rea gained life skills from the class, but a door opened when the group won the Anaheim Heritage Festival that came with an offer to perform at Carnegie Hall.

As the years progressed, Rea realized that change in the class was constant. She discovered that dealing with these changes to be the most challenging aspect.

“The most challenging part of being so emotionally and physically invested in the HS ensemble has been the beginning and end of every year. People are coming and going and graduating. Every year, the group becomes something completely different with new attitudes and new personalities.”

Even though the group requires continual adjustments, the opportunities ensemble offers and the doors it opens are what keep Rea in the class.

“I initially wanted to stay in the class because it was such an amazing experience,” Rea said. “Going through life with Michael Ogdon as my mentor, and my classmates as my supporters was awesome. However, once Odgon left the school in 2014, it became harder for me to stay in the class. The reason I still remain in the class is because of the friendships I’ve made and the doors it will open. Not to mention, it also looks good on a college application.”

2016121-ensemble-national-anthem
[/media-credit] In an effort to raise money for their trip to Carnegie Hall, ladies ensemble perform the national anthem at every sporting event they can attend.

Rea’s position in the class has gone from being the lone freshman in the ensemble to one of its leaders. She is the only current “veteran” member since she has been a part of the group all of her four years of high school.

“My role has gradually shifted over the years to more of a leadership position in the class,” Rea said. “The most rewarding thing about being in ensemble is just how many opportunities for growth, and real life lessons it has provided. I have learned more real life applicable lessons by being in this class all four years of high school than I have in any other class.”

Not only has Rea gained life skills from the class, but a door opened when the group won the Anaheim Heritage Festival that came with an offer to perform at Carnegie Hall. She is hopeful that the group will be able to collect enough money for the April 25-May 2 trip.

“The ensemble has been invited to sing at Carnegie Hall two years now, once under the direction of Michael Ogdon, and last year under the direction of Susan Ainley,” Rea said. “Unfortunately, we were unable to cough up enough money the first year, but Ainley has been working extremely hard to fundraise.”

After months of long hours and hard work, Rea is ready for a reprieve and a chance to bond with the ensemble.

“I am hopeful that all this fundraising will be a success and we will be able to accept the invitation to Carnegie Hall,” Rea continued. “I can’t wait to bond with the girls and finally have time to stop and relax. This year has been insanely busy, so a fun trip to the Big Apple sounds like a perfect way to celebrate and wrap up the year.”

For anyone who would like to help out Bellezza, donations can be made to Susan Ainley who can also answer any questions. The group has their first large payment due in March so any amount people can offer will help.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_olivialoren_ or via email: Olivia Quebe