Erin Wilson brings motivation to team, strong work ethic

Wilson started basketball in the fourth grade and decided to continue with the sport through elementary and JH.
[/media-credit] Wilson started basketball in the fourth grade and decided to continue with the sport through elementary and JH.

Player works to build program

After several years without a girls’ basketball team, a few students stepped up to rekindle the program. Now, the beat of basketballs resonate across both sides of the court as a young team fights to rise in the ranks and establish a foothold once more.

Team captain Erin Wilson,’17, practices alongside the other 8 players of the second year Girl’s Varsity team. Wilson started basketball in elementary school and continued to pursue the sport throughout Junior High. Freshmen year she decided upon soccer as her winter sport. However, she participated with FC in the Fresno State Women’s Basketball camp and rejoined the team in the 2015-2016 season.

Wilson says the presence of friends on the team and the sports unique aspects encouraged her to play throughout JH and into HS.

“Most of my friends in elementary and junior high played basketball so that really was a big factor in me starting to play,” Wilson said. “I just found the sport to be a lot of fun and I really enjoyed playing. I love that the teams are smaller in basketball and that there’s less people on the court. It makes its easier to execute a play and communicate.”

Coach Robert Foshee believes Wilson’s skills will continue to grow and improve with her diligent efforts to lead the team. He says Wilson posses the opportunity to become a very significant player in the West Sequoia League this season.

“I think she brings a lot of leadership,” Foshee said. “She’s a really mature player especially being a sophomore. She’s willing to work hard and people kind of follow along with her. She’s kind of ahead of  her time, she’s playing like a junior or senior. She’s doing a good job. She still has a lot to learn but she always plays hard. With her numbers she can be first or second all league. She averages probably 8 0r 9 rebounds per game against hard teams. I think in the end she could be one of the best players in the West Sequoia League.”

Wilson says she enjoys playing post because of the absence of dribbling and the opportunity to score.

“I like playing post because I don’t have to dribble very much and because I like being able to post up on people,” Wilson said. “I mostly will set screen or run the short corners of the court. I try to post up and get the ball to score.”

I think she brings a lot of leadership. She’s willing to work hard and people kind of follow along with her. She’s ahead of  her time, she’s playing like a junior or senior. She still has a lot to learn but she always plays hard. With her numbers she can be first or second all league. She averages probably 8 0r 9 rebounds per game against hard teams. I think in the end she could be one of the best players in the West Sequoia League.  –Robert Foshee

Point guard, Ashley Zamarippa says Wilson creates a source of inspiration and at times moments to bond for the team.

“Erin is one of our captains and she keeps us motivated,” Zamarippa said. “She is one of our main re bounders and brings a lot to the team. Erin always makes practice fun too because she has the best jokes and you can’t help but laugh.”

Wilson hopes to aid in the construction of a firm foundation for the team’s future this year. She says some personal goals include increasing dribbling skills as well as the amount or rebounds she obtains per game.

“I’m basically just hoping that we’re able to practice a lot and bond a lot and get are plays down so that in the following years we will get really good and hopefully win a lot of games,” Wilson said. “My personal hope would probably be to learn how to dribble better. I also want to get a lot of rebounds. I love getting rebounds. It’s so fun. I hope to have a good average.”

In addition to basketball, Wilson plays soccer and softball.  She also takes part in leadership, CSFSister to Sister and honors English. Among all the hustle of school, on-campus clubs and late night bus rides home from away games, Wilson often finds the time restraints difficult. She says however that the benefits of basketball outweigh any challenges.

“Sometimes it is hard to find balance between friends; homework and basketball because we take the busses to the game and we have to wait till all of the games are over to leave,” Wilson said. “Sometimes we won’t get back until 10p.m. or 10:30p.m. It’s challenging but it’s still really fun.”

Wilson finds much motivation in the community established by her team mates. She recommends basketball to girls at FC because of both the camaraderie and safe environment to learn and grow in.

20160126fc-erin016
[/media-credit] Wilson feels that basketball has benefitted her in a way that few activities can.

“The team is really fun this is such an amazing team,” Wilson said. “I just love them. They’re always laughing. Foshee gets mad at us because we get distracted and are always laughing but I would recommend it to others because it is really fun. When you mess up we won’t get mad at you or say anything negative we’ll just say try this next time.”

Mother, Sarah Wilson, describes Erin’s work ethic as a prominent aspect of her character. She says her wishes for her daughter’s future include the achievement of goals and upmost happiness.

“I have always been amazed and surprised by Erin’s strong work ethic,” Wilson said. “Even from a really young age Erin was a go getter. She has always done what she needed to do to be a team player and get her to her next goal. Erin is a sweetheart, very kind, with a heart of gold. And she often put other people’s needs before herself. Erin is very driven and motivated to reach her goals. I hope reaches her dreams she sets for herself and mostly I hope she is happy and and enjoys her life to the fullest.”

For another sports feature read Bailey Brogan leads team from behind the net.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee and via Email: Skyler Lee.