World of Sports: Buchanan defeats powerhouse, works toward State title

2 Team flag-2
[/media-credit] Buchanan’s wrestling team defeated Clovis High, Jan. 28.

In the world of sports, headlines in America are typically controlled by traditional sports such as football, basketball or baseball.

In the central Valley, wrestling often makes the headlines. Clovis is home to two of the top 10 wrestling teams in the nation. Buchanan High School is the top team in the state and is nationally ranked No. 5 while Clovis High is No. 2 in the state and No. 9 nationally. On Jan. 28, these two teams met at Clovis High for a highly anticipated match.

Heading into the match, the lower ranked Clovis Cougars had a 91 consecutive dual win streak against other California teams. The streak stretched all the back to Jan. 24, 2007. Before the match began, around 2,500 fans came to spectate this event. Buchanan won 8 of the 14 matches and received bonus point in 4 of them. At the end of the night the streak was over and Buchanan undoubtedly claimed ownership of the top team in the state.

The win over Clovis was a huge accomplishment for the Bears. They successfully took down the Cougars and ended the streak. Buchanan wrestling coach, Troy Tirapelle is proud of his team but does not want them to be satisfied with winning this duel.

“It’s great for our kids to have an achievement they can quantify all the hard work they put in with,” Tirapelle said. ” However, it is not the end of the road for us. We still have to do it four more times in postseason tournaments in order to complete the goals they set out for themselves.”

Performing on such a big stage can be very nerve racking and stressful. Especially for a high school student who is trying to balance schoolwork and their time training for wrestling. Former FC student, Ethan Leake, is currently a sophomore on the Buchanan wrestling squad. Leake did not feel any extra pressure for the Clovis High duel and kept his preparation the same for the days before.

Our expectations for the rest of the season are to keep winning. Valley and state championships are within reach for our team. We plan on doing it in big fashion. We were sick of living by Clovis’ tradition, we are ready to start our own. — Cade Belshay

“No pressure was really put on us,” Leake said. “It was more go out there and get the job done and you guys will win. The preparation was the same as anything for me, the only difference was that there were 1,000 people cheering me on as I wrestled.”

Now that the Bears have accomplished this goal of taking down the giant of Clovis High, they have there eyes set on a new challenge; a state championship. The last time Buchanan won a State title was in 2006 and now that goal is in reach. Junior Cade Belshay is happy to have ended the Cougars streak and is ready to make the next step.

“Our expectations for the rest of the season are to keep winning,” said Belshay. “Valley and State championships are within reach for our team. We plan on doing it in big fashion. We were sick of living by Clovis’ tradition, we are ready to start our own.”

NIYgSNGJ
[/media-credit] Cade Belshay, top, is the 6th ranked wrestlers in California’s 170 pound weight class.

The goal of a state championship is definitely in reach. I do not watch much wrestling but while I was researching it is clear to me that Buchanan is for sure going to be a favorite. Now that they have beat the Cougars, they know that it is possible to beat them.

The hard part comes when they have to do it again in the state tournament. In a recent article in the Fresno Bee, Tirapelle said beating Clovis High is “a double-edged sword. Every time we beat them, it awakens a beast.” The Bear better be ready and stay prepared to beat the 5-time defending State champions, Clovis High.

The kind of success that the Bears have had this season is highly coveted by athletes everywhere. I personally am an athlete and strive to be better than everyone else in my sport. I am very impressed with what they have accomplished. Being the best team in the central Valley is an extraordinary accomplishment not to mention being the best team in California and a top team in the nation.

Now the Bears must live up to the hype that surrounds them. I wish them the best of luck as they continue to work toward the state championship.

For last week’s World of Sports read, World of Sports: Australian open kicks off tennis season.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Phillip11499 and via email: Phillip Christopher