Varsity boys soccer weekly recap Feb. 15 – Feb. 19

[/media-credit] Alex Rurik, ’19, dribbles the ball away from a defender in hopes to advance up field.

The week of Feb. 15 – Feb.19 the FC boys soccer team played two CIF playoff matches. On Tue. Feb. 16 they played Wonderful College Prep Academy. On Thurs. Feb. 18 they played Mendota HS.

On Tuesday, FC hosted WCPA in the first round of playoffs. The game started out very well for the Eagles and they held the lead the entire game. Goals scored by Nathan Mount, ‘18, and Jacob Bynum, ‘17, gave the Eagles a 2-0 lead at halftime. The game continued with the Eagles dominating except in the last few minutes of the game, miscommunication in the defense allowed WCPA to put up a goal. The game finished with the Eagles as the victors, 2-1.

Mount recognizes that the team could have played better but was also very excited after scoring his first varsity goal.

“I think the game against WCPA went pretty well,” Mount said. “We could have played better than we did but we were still able to come out on top. Scoring my first goal against them made me super pumped and made me try harder for the rest of the season.”

This playoff win against WCPA was FC’s first playoff soccer win in a few years. With this win, the Eagles now had to travel to Mendota to face a tough opponent in the second round of playoffs.

On Thursday, the Eagles had a night game at Mendota HS. The boys had high hopes for this game and looked to win by playing their best game of the year. The Eagles knew they had to play a little more defensive because Mendota’s #10, Daniel Trejo, had scored more than 40 goals during the season. The game was strongly fought between both teams and neither could get an advantage. However, the Eagles had an unlucky play after goalkeeper, Bailey Brogan, ‘16, blocked a shot. He stopped the ball from going into the goal but it bounced off of the crossbar onto his calf and went in. This put the Eagles down 0-1.

Not feeling defeated yet, the Eagles pressed on to win this game. With a few chances missed, the Eagles were unable to score and tie the game with the Aztecs. And with less that 12 minutes to play, Daniel Trejo scored a goal to lift the Aztecs over the Eagles 0-2.

This marks the end of the Eagles soccer season. They finished with a league record of 5-5 and a playoff record of 1-1.

For more FC soccer information check out last week’s recap: Varsity boys soccer weekly recap Feb. 8 – Feb. 12

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]